New to our Forums? Why can't I post?

Hello,

Thank you for signing up to participate in our forums!

You might notice that you cannot post a new topic right away. Why? This is to prevent SPAM topics.

We require users to read some posts for 10 minutes to level up. You can create a new topic when your account reaches level1. You can reply to topics without limitation.

Thanks!

10 Likes
1 Like

Hi, Jason!

What spammers do you mean? Such as this? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m sorry, couldn’t resist. :smile:

I dont understand, you think my post for feedback on the physics chapter of the Programmers Guide is spam?

In some ways, yes. Since already exists the topic for discussion about the Programmer’s Guide.
Actually I do not mean to offend you.

So new rules protect us from what spam?

Well, I guess I can’t make everyone happy then.

Wait how do I know if my account is level1 or not ? I look at my user profile and I can’t find that information.

hmm, I’m not exactly sure how you would know…

I think you mean badge basic and not level 1? http://discuss.cocos2d-x.org/badges/1/basic-user

where can i see my rank leverl?

http://discuss.cocos2d-x.org/users/hoperun/badges i think.

This restriction is a real barrier to cocos2d-x adoption. I have a basic question that I would like answered, that isn’t covered in the documentation, that I can only get an answer to from the forums:

But here I am, having to spam your forums for 10 minutes. I don’t even know if what I’m doing will even get me to “level1”.

I’ve been staring at this forum for more than 10 minutes and I’ve yet to be promoted to “level1”. I’m left to conclude that there’s no way for a new user to make a post.

The way this forum is setup there’s no way for me to have my question answered.

I’m not even a new user. I’ve been signed up to this forum for over a year and have made two posts before.

I don’t think anyone has time for this kind of artificial barrier.

3 Likes

Well, to be fair, this was done to combat users signing up and creating spam posts.

I get that it is not ideal, but neither is reading spam posts. We want to grow the community, group participation, etc. We don’t want to be a Stack Overflow style forum where you ask a quick question or an urgent question and we never see you again until your next quick question…

Just to be sure I granted you a new badge and that should resolve your posting issues. Although It does seem that you posted a question 27m ago.

Also, creating those other posts to get around the posting restriction was rather inconsiderate. A better way would have been to just create the post in this topic and let us reply. I had to take the time to go and delete them as not to clutter up the topics with irrelevant posts.

The post I linked to above isn’t showing in “Latest”. In fact I can’t find it anywhere listed on the forums except under my own profile. Listed as a “Topic” (whatever that is) rather than a “Post”. Therefore no one is ever going to see it and no one is going to answer it.

the new newbie section should be free for all users, even for users without “level 1”.
And pls! Make a announcement in newbie section HOW someone can become Level 1. It’s ridiculous that we don’t know exactly what level 1 is.

1 Like

it shows for me.

I will ask our website maintainer to see what we can do to relax some permissions for that category and provide a better explanation.

I can see it now.

My bad.

I could’ve sworn it wasn’t there when I first posted it.

Basic (1)

If a user sticks around long enough to read a bit, Discourse now trusts them as a basic user.

They can get to trust level 1 by…

entering at least 5 topics
reading at least 30 posts
spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts
Admins can change these thresholds in…

basic_requires_topic_entered
basic_requires_read_posts
basic_requires_time_spent_mins
Users at trust level 1 can…

use all core Discourse functions
Upload images and attachments if enabled
Edit wiki posts
Flag posts
have all new user restrictions removed

2 Likes

Absolutely the wrong way to go about this. When I first signed up there was nothing to indicate what “level” I was, no badge, etc. this is an extremely frustrating experience, especially since I am the type of person that will spend days trying to solve an issue on my own before I come to ask a “quick question”.

To me, the whole point of a forum is to ask “quick questions”. I don’t come here for idle chit chat, I come her to get a job done; and what better place to find answers than the community that is actually making the library.

The thing is, when you have many “quick questions” and corresponding “quick replies” (which none of my answers have ever had) than you create a repository of questions that the community can reference; which should make everyone’s lives easier and will serve the community in a positive way.

Please, don’t limit someone’s ability to post when they first sign up.

If you’re worried about spam than provide guidelines on what the community expects for a new post, which might include; the version of Cocos2d you’re working with, the platform you’re building for, steps you have taken to resolve the issue, code examples, logs, etc. You guys already have a somewhat good way of reducing new posts by providing relevant posts as you type (that’s good!).

Obviously, the end goal is to make your job easier, while providing value to the community. If you guys are really worried about spam messages than provide a ranking system in which a user can down-vote a question so that it filters down into the abyss and doesn’t become noise for others.

Rant over.

All that being said, I do appreciate your effort as well as the org’s effort to bring this tool to the community for FREAKING FREE! Thank you!

2 Likes