Run cocos2d-x games on Apple Watch?

I bought a sport band yesterday, and started to try.

After 1 hour:

After 1.5 hours:

Aha, actually Apple Watch doesn’t support neither OpenGLES nor WebGL, so we can do very few things. And it’s very hard to debug. Xcode firstly download the app into your iphone, then iphone use bluetooth to deploy your watchapp on your watch, and debug via bluetooth?

Wooga’s Toby

Wooga has a very simple game Toby on the watch, to feed and play with your virtual pet dog. This game looks like a “no more than 1 man-week” product. This is already one of the best games on watch, featured by Apple.

The main scene of Toby

When you press the screen heavily, it will show the menu scene. From here you can feed, play and sleep your Toby.

Try another kind of game: Google’s Ingress

I guess game play without “long time continuous human-machine interaction” can try on the watch, e.g, have you guys tried Google’s game Ingress? Perhaps this kind of game can fit the usage of apple watch perfectly.

Apple Watch sport band: designed for programmers!

I haven’t wore watches or smart bracelets because most of their bands grate my macbook pro when I’m at work. But this sport band resolve this problem perfectly. Apple haven’t promoted this but it’s really designed for programmers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Zhe, cool, thanks for this. I was going to take my Wife’s watch and try some experiments but she hasn’t take it off yet.

So great to see Cocos2d-x run on Apple Watch.

Xcode have a Watch simulator, you can’t debug the Watch App with that?
But Watch Kit is still new, a lot space to improve.

Is there any plan to make Cocos2d-x support and perform better on Apple Watch without OpenGLES nor WebGL?

Hey, I’m kidding. Without OpenGLES, we can’t run cocos2d-x easily on the Apple Watch. The only API we can use is WKInterfaceImage to play animated images.

I don’t know you are so humour and thought it was real! :smile:

So does Cocos2d-x currently support WKInterfaceImage to play animated images?
Can we use the Apple Watch Force Touch as you stated you need to press the screen heavily?

Off Topic:
Recently you are so active on forum and GitHub by sudden, seems something will happen.

1 Like

any update on this? have a game that I need to run on the Apple watch. Is this even possible? What are the efforts involved?

It is not possible at this time, unless things have changed and I don’t know about it.