Why can't you directly load assets

I was immediately baffled by Cocos Creator because I click the + and there is no option to simply use the File Explorer and load a graphic. I am fine that Cocos creator is different in a lot of ways ( and so far I really like a lot of them such as engine options simplicity) from other game engines (a lot of concepts carry over) but this is really basic function (I found a Cocos youtube that says you can drag and drop but that sounds prone to problems). Is this something that Cocos will add?

Hi @cloa513,

If you are asking for a way to directly load assets using url then please refer this.

I assume you are coming from other HTML5 engines such as Phaser 3 or Pixi JS where you load assets using the asset url.
Here all the assets will be managed by Cocos Creator and will help in bundling them all when you are generating a build.
You can either load them manually by code using the assetManager or create a component in the editor and link it there by dragging and dropping.

1 Like

I am coming from using Unity and Godot where you load a graphic and load it on a node and that is some type of Sprite and there is it is. I am making a low computation game so Cocos is totally appropriate. Maybe my understanding of Cocos asset is incorrect.

Yea, in that case you can try the component approach. Sprite Components to be precise.
Of course you can do every thing by code as well.
This tutorial might help you get comfortable with Cocos Creator

1 Like

You create assets directory
Define assets
Load image from assets