Templar Battleforce on Steam

Our latest Cocos2d-x game is now on Steam for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.

After a few weeks, we have 98.8% positive feedback from players.

Their aren’t too many PC-first Cocos2d-x games on Steam, but this definitely proves the engine can do it.

We do plan to release a mobile version eventually.

Built with:

• Customized Coco2d-x v2
  • Spine by Esoteric Soft
  • SQLite
  • Steam C++ SDK
  • TMX
  • HockeyApp / Breakpad
  • CrashReporter
  • TMX
  • TexturePacker
2 Likes

congratulations on your game! it looks amazing :smile:

Knowing cocos2d-x is not intended for PC games, did you experienced a lot of trouble to publish to Steam?

and … what is CrashReporter? I can imagine but do not know the software

Thank you for your kind words.

We didn’t experience any trouble publishing it to Steam, however we did have a number of required customizations to the framework such as adding 3d sound, full screen and mouse hover. We were able to get a lot of help from this forum with those features which have made our PC release go well.

Crashreporter is a win32 component that makes it very easy to get crash reports via e-mail. Those crash reports can be loaded in Visual Studio and debugged down to a line number, which makes fixing bugs much faster.

http://crashrpt.sourceforge.net/

Congratulation on your project!

What’s your experience with Crashreporter? Do you have any numbers/statistics regarding the ratio of crashes and actual sent reports, which you are able to share?

Do people adopt such system and make use of it?

Thanks!

Our experience with Crashreporter is great. On Steam, 82% of people who experience a crash report that crash to us via Crash Reporter. This can be good, this can be bad. Sometimes I wake up with 50+ e-mails from the same user with a broken video card driver. Around 30% of users submitting via CrashReporter send their e-mail and details about the crash.

On the games where we are deployed to Steam, iTunes, Amazon and Google Play we use statistical analysis and Google Analytics to measure cross-platform crash performance.

The least reliable way to collect crash reports is Google Play. It collects almost no useful crash reports. Google Play catches and stores the stack traces of less than 2% of all crashes that occur on Android. iTunes/Apple collects around 70%. HockeyApp collects around 94% when using the automatic submission system, and around 50% when using user-guided submission.

What this seems to indicate is

1. PC users are very accustomed to clicking the “Report Crash” button
  2. Google Play cannot be trusted to measure application performance
  3. Mobile users do not report crashes to developers as often when prompted
  4. Automatic crash submission is good
  5. Analytics and Crash Reporting are CRITICAL to a good user experience

After a few years of doing this full time, I can safely say that I would never even consider releasing a game without rock solid crash reporting and analytics to measure behaviors, crashes and quality events.

2 Likes