🌠 Rope Run 🌠 [Android]

Hello guys!

We are proud to announce that we published our first Cocos2d-x game “Rope Run”.

Here’s a quote from the store listing: “Tap the screen to shoot your rope and travel through 30 unique levels!”

There are two versions of the game: free and paid.

Rope Run Lite: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.creativit.roperunlite

Rope Run: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.creativit.roperun

Feel free to comment. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hope you enjoy it!

Feel free to ask questions, too! Happy to share our thoughts regarding, for example, the development of this project.

Congrats on the release. Yes, please tell us about the technical details. It helps to motivate other developers to achieve their goals too! We all get motivation from seeing games released!

Thank you!

We used Cocos2d-x v3.13 as a framework and the development environment was Visual Studio. The Android app was built using Android Studio.

Inkscape and Gimp were used to create all the graphic assets. We created sprite sheets with TexturePacker to improve the performance.

Audacity was used to edit the audio assets and the trailer was created using VSDC Video Editor.

1 Like

Hello!

We updated the game and now the global best scores are shown without having to press the score button:

The score button shows 15 best scores globally, but the absolute top scores are shown in the level statistics section. Therefore, it’s easier and faster for the player to compare his/her records to the global best scores.

Btw, we are still looking forward to hearing more comments and questions! :wink:

I would like to know the problems you encountered during developing related to cocos2d-x and how you managed to solve those problems.

Good idea, were there any challenges that you faced @Deeds? How did you overcome them?

Thanks for asking!

I think that the bigger problems related to some third party software that are used in Rope Run, so maybe they’re not Cocos2d-x-related problems per se. We find Cocos2d-x pretty easy to use, but some parts of the documentation could be better up-to-date, for example, we used experimental::AudioEngine to handle the audio, but it was quite difficult to find good examples about the usage.

This is a quite general answer, but we overcame these problems just by searching for more information, by trial and error, by brainstorming and by asking for help. Don’t be afraid to ask for help, but try to be as precise as possible and take your time to draft the question properly.

Other greater challenges that we faced concerned about creating the content for the game. Mainly, designing and developing all the levels and adjusting the difficulty level so that there’s a some kind of sense of the game gradually getting harder.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience on using Cocos2d-x. That fill me the confidence to using Cocos2d-x as game engine/framework to develop my game.

1 Like

No problem. Glad to be of help!

1 Like