How can I use Android Studio together with cocos2d-x? Any hints?

@milos1290 your link is broken

We have a video tutorial on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdOkbXYsf04&index=9&list=PLRtjMdoYXLf7fqFlzHJvfhBgO0ddEm-k5

@SonarSystems Thatā€™s a great video, thank you! (also for all the other video you made)

I just started developing with Cocos, so at many things Iā€™m still trying to figure out how to do it. The biggest question I currently have is whether it is possible to step-through-debug Cocos Code with Android Studio. I guess it is not, so Iā€™m currently thinking about using Visual Studio, running the proj.win32 Code (which is beautifully debuggable) and once in a while have a look on an actuall smartphone device. What is your thought on that workflow?

I would use Android studio only for running and use another IDE of your choice for development and debugging.

Thank your for your fast respond. I will try it out.

Iā€™m looking forward to a great collaboration with everyone in this forum!

Thatā€™s how I work. I spend 95% of my time in VS, then just do the OS specific stuff in XCode, Eclipse or Android studio.

I like to work in Linux some time too, but Iā€™ve not found an IDE that compares to Visual Studio, so Iā€™ve got to stick with Windows for now :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™d quite like to setup Visual Studio to do my Android and iOS builds, but Iā€™ve not looked into how hard it is to setup yet. Has anyone tried it with Cocos2D-X?

When you say Iā€™d quite like to setup Visual Studio to do my Android and iOS builds,, are you saying you want to actually build and run iOS and Android from VS?

Yeah. Itā€™s a new feature of Visual Studio 2015. You can build Windows Phone, Android and iOS. It even has its own Android Emulator.

I think it still requires a Mac with XCode running on your network to compile the iOS code, but itā€™d still be nice to do everything from the same tool.

Thatā€™s very interesting, defo will try this.

Youā€™ll have to make a video if you figure out how to get it working with Cocos2D-X. Iā€™ve found your videos very useful :smile:

Android studio support should work with new gradle experimental plugin which claims to offer full NDK support

and Android Studio 1.3+ (which includes JetBrainsā€™ CLion, a C++ IDE). However I wasnā€™t able to configure it to recognize cocos2d-x, I keep getting linker errors while building the project (ā€œno such file or directory spine/BoneData.hā€ etc). Iā€™ll keep trying and, if succeed, will publish a github repository with sample project.

I was able to get at least basic C++ highlighting and navigation by creating symbolic links to cocos2d and Classes directories (this of course only works for Linux and Mac):

$ cd proj.android-studio/app/jni
$ ln -s ../../../Classes
$ ln -s ../../../cocos2d

I compile the native code using cocos command line interface

$ cd proj.android-studio/
$ cocos compile -pandroid --android-studio --no-apk --app-abi x86

and run the app from Android Studio. Not the ideal workflow but at least I can edit all C++ code and java code from a single Android Studio project. One can go even further and configure a pre-build rule in Android Studio to execute the above cocos command before every build automatically.

2 Likes

We may have to :smiley:

Itā€™s Great a suggestion. Do you have a suggestion for auto run and compile cocos compile ? Thanks @denisk20 itā€™s really help

@arief_platk

1. Create a new External Tool configuration in Android studio (File -> Other Settings -> Default Settings -> Tools -> External Tools, then click + at the bottom). Assuming that you have cocos command-line tool installed, fill in the form similar to this:

2. Go to Run -> Edit Configurations, then select your runtime configuration, scroll to the bottom to reveal ā€œRun Afterā€ table, click +, select Run External Tool, then select external tool that you have created on step 1:

Now every time you run your configuration you will run cocos build too. Havenā€™t fully tested it so maybe some tweaks are required.

3 Likes

Thanks @denisk20 this was a big help. I did have to use $ProjectFileDir$ vs $ModuleFileDir$ in order to get CppTests to compile with Android Studio.

Hi,can i debug c++ on android studio?

@yixiaoqingyuz Currently I think you canā€™t, but it should become possible once they finish full NDK support in Experimental plugin. The steps from post #34 wonā€™t be necessary then.

I thought android studio had full NDK debug support by now - am I wrong?

But running console ā€œcocosā€ command from android studio is just a shortcut. You can use any text editor and just run it straight from console. Itā€™s not the solution we need. For now I write all code in xcode and just run android app from console.
Whatā€™s important it should use gradle, which does all the job. Then we can easily use multidex or import parts of google-play-services (like admob) not whole library. These days hitting 65k method dalvik limit is very easy. Also we should be able to use ndk debugging. Then I guess we can also create a ā€œtemplateā€ for android studio, so itā€™ll even be able to create cocos2d-x projects (but thatā€™s not necessary important).

Have a look to my post.

I am trying to build cocos2dx using gradle and full NDK support. Any help would be very apreciated.