Game exits when creating sprite with invalid or missing file path on Windows Phone 8

When I create a sprite with a filename that doesn’t exist auto mySprite = Sprite::create("missing_image.png") the app on windows phone seems to crash without exception. On Android, iOS, and Mac this call fails gracefully setting mySprite to nullptr.

I know I should make sure that all sprite filenames or paths should be created, but I’ve found it useful to allow a missing asset during development / deployment and I’m curious if anyone has seen this issue and if there is any workaround for windows phone.

I haven’t used WP8 but I agree that the expected behavior should be returning a nullptr, this sounds like a bug. Have you considered filing it in the tracker?

Once I investigate a bit further I will file a bug, good advice. I have to double check that a brand new project has the same issue so I can write a test to attach with the bug. I’m also just beginning to test the Win32 project with the same code to confirm how that platform behaves.