Business app (Non gaming)

I have read some posts about this topic, still they are a few years old.

I wanted to ask what you think about creating a business app (non gaming) with cocos2d?

The major point for me is that cocos is cross platform with a very good performance.

I have read that the widget support is bad, but from looking at the source (I dont know which release it was) I saw that there are plenty of widgets now.

Whats your opinion about it?

EDIT: I have looked through the event propagation and I was asking myself why there is no quadtree (or similar) structure built in to accelerate how events are handed to the right widgets?

I also see one major flaw: There is no in build gesture recognition.

What type of business app?
Do you need graphics engine or just want create UI?

The app will be rather graphics intense.

A lot of “game like” features, animations and so on will make the ui look appealing. All the features are there.

So my question is rather: Why wouldnt I create it with cocos?

You can create with cocos but if you have a lot of UI then it will be hard I think.

as this app will mainly be UI, I suppose it’d be very achievable with cocos. I think it is a good idea, it very easy to do (coming from a person with about a month with cocos!)

other c++ frameworks like QT were made for what you want to achieve. So they’ll be easier to use (I think QT has drag and drop)

You do have the visual editor in cocos and I dont care too much about complex drag and drop as I will create all complex behaviors myself.

I would recommend flutter for it. It’s a framework for Android and iOS and offers the UI feature for an app (not game) with the optimisation for 60fps animations. If you want to create a game with it, you can use eg. SpriteWidget or use the native widgets. Someone said in a YouTube talk (can’t find the url yet), that flutter is a 2D game engine, because it renders on a canvas in 60fps.

PS: We build an advent calendar game (2018) for a big chocolate company (with purple color) and it was completely written with flutter. It’s not in the Play-/AppStore anymore, but for Android you can find the APK in several mirrors. - But please don’t blame the game, the concept wasn’t that good. Our company was included in the latest state and we were excluded in the part of the concept phase.

1 Like

I met a few folks that were using Cocos2d-x to create an Audio Player with very cool effects as songs are playing. Sort of like WinAmp but it felt a lot better.

Also, a dating app used to use us, I think for animations and effects. I’m not sure if they still do.

Cocos2d-x is also at the core of an operating system. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/676993694/solu-a-new-breed-of-computing

1 Like

I can see that there are these “professional” projects, still I dont see why I should not use cocos!

I can imagine that the animations looked amazing.

I have found another flaw maybe:

Is there an option to disable rendering.
Still receiving touch input to then request rendering again for a specific time interval.