大家好, hello everyone,
I am a blind developer who had recently got interestedi n game development. Before I go further I want to clarify some things:
- Blind people use a special program on their computer called a screenreader that is used to read on-screen text, such as forum, file structure or C/C++/Lua/Whatever code.
- Blind people can indeed play computer games. It was done as is heavily documented.
- I have prior programming experience (C/C++, C#, Swift) however I never did gamedev before, except a WIP game accessibility mod
Now to my questions:
- Cocos 2DX or Cocos Creator? I have downloaded Cocos Creator and I see that it is not accessible for a screenreader. I can initialize new project, but then everything gets too graphical. So my first question is, should I switch to cocos 2DX, or there is a way to make games in Creator without ever using the IDE?
- I have read somewhere that Cocos 2DX is not maintained anymore, but when browsing this forum I see the contrary. What should I make out of this?
- Should I even bother with Cocos? My idea is to make a fully-featured text-based rPG at first with rich 3D audio environment. What does a game engine like Cocos offer me in this regard? State manager, input controls ETC ETC.
- I know that Chinese blind developers have used Cocos 2D before and some of them still use it. Maybe there is anything they have left behind so now I can use it to start making my own games?
Please, be patient with me lol! I really want to learn but I am confused.