Android build rendering issue in some Android 7 devices

Hello,

I was testing Cocos Creator 3.3.2 Android build on some devices and found that the app doesn’t render anything in some Android 7 devices. Tested on OPPO f5 Youth and ASUS Zen Phone 4 Selfie.
The app runs fine on latest devices without problem.
Here’s a snap from build panel for Cocos Creator 3.3.2

Just to check whether the problem is with the hardware or not I tested with Cocos Creator 2.4.8 with the same build settings. Except for the Graphics Backend settings which cannot be selected in Cocos Creator 2.4.8 build panel.
The app ran fine on all the devices.
Here’s a snap from build panel for Cocos Creator 2.4.8

FYI: Both the build’s were generated with ndk version 19.2.5345600

So please let me know if I’m missing something here to make it work on all devices.
Project files for testing the build
buildCocos2.4.8.zip (787.8 KB)
buildCocos3.3.2.zip (1.2 MB)

Thank you for providing all of this! I will ask engineering to have a look.

Hello, I’m using the oppoA83t test shows normal。(Android 7.1.1)
(No OPPO f5 Youth and ASUS Zen Phone 4 Selfie in the test machine)

@Koei,

I tested a bit by tweaking the build settings, found out it’s something to do with VULKAN graphics backend.
If I have just the GLES3 or both GLES2 and GLES3 the app works fine. But problem starts when I include the VULKAN as well, the app doesn’t even render the Cocos splash screen (Just a white screen is shown before displaying black screen).
Shouldn’t the render backend switch to GLES2 or GLES3 if it doesn’t support VULKAN.

This problem doesn’t seem to occur on other Android 7.1.1

@Koei,

Is it safe to not build for VULKAN at all?
May I also know what Graphics Backend settings does Cocos Creator 2 for the build?

Currently it is if VULKAN is not supported, it will switch to GLES2 or GLES3.
Is there an error message reported?
If there is no error message, it is possible that there is a problem with the driver, the specific need to debug to see the details.
2.x → gl2.0

No error message. In place of the splash screen a white background is displayed. Few seconds later it turns black.
Yea, could be a driver issue. I’m going to test once with 3.4.0 as @linrm suggests in another thread

@Koei,

Same issue persists with 3.4.0. I’ll stick to GLES backend for the time being.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.