3D Polygon count best practice?

Hi!

We plan to build a 3D game with around 40-80 3D creatures on the scene same time.

We are wondering what is the best practice in terms of polycount number, what is the recommended maximum number of polygons per mesh for a certain platform (we are targeting Mobile Web, Web and WeChat, later on maybe native Android and iOS platforms as well).

Does anyone have some recommendation/measurements on this?

E.g if we target less then 1500 polygons per mesh, will it give good results? Can we have more or less?

Thank you

Hi @balazsnemeth, welcome back :slight_smile:
I made a test to reduce draw calls for 3d projects in Cocos Creator two days ago. If you merge mesh into single one it reduces drawcalls and render times ridiculously. Result amazed me. If you want to check it out video tutorial is here:

Best way is making tests in my opinion. I wished if I have made this test before I made my funny little 3d game so it would help a lot about performance. If your models will be animated may be you need GPU instancing but it’s not implemented yet in Cocos Creator, hope it will be. I’ve implemented Camera frustum culling in Cocos Creator 2.2.3 by fixing small bugs in the engine. Let me know if you want a tutorial about it.

Hope these help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@FocusCreative Thanks for the research! I watched all of your videos as well and I especially like the latest once where you go a bit into more advance stuff with beautiful workarounds of the label bug, shaders in textureatlases and these drawcalls.

Amazing work, keep it up! :star_struck:

1 Like