Tile Map Render Efficiency

I do want to implement my own tile map. (Not using Tiled!)
To move on the map I use a camera and set its position. I also could use “Follow:”.

I am adding all tiles of my game as individual sprites to the scene. (This could be alot, lets say 100*100 = 10000 sprites).

1. Is the engine (or the camera or anything) “deciding” which nodes are visible and only drawing the visible ones or is it drawing everything?

2. If 1. is not handled by the engine: Is there a benefit in grouping sprites together and dynamically adding/removing them (like a chunk system) so that the draw calls will decrease alot?

(e.g. create 10*10 = 100 nodes and add 100 sprites to each node, then removing/or adding only the few nodes (and so its contained sprites) that are actually in the cameras view)

Thanks!

EDIT:

I read about SpriteBatchNode. It this the way to go as it reduces draw calls?

I am used to implement my own draw() method to decide manually which sprites should be drawn.

Sprites are batched automatically in 3.x, technically.

I read that too.

Still is there a performance boost by calling removeChild() over setVisible(false) ?

You will want to manually batch, don’t rely on the automatic batching for that many sprites. Checkout TMXFastTiledMap for guidance on how to build up PrimitiveCommand (or Quad/CustomCommand) for your needs.

Edit: depending on your sorting/depth-buffer needs you may want to batch only rows or some amount of the tiles together and you can also look into culling out off-screen tiles, but you’ll want to either experiment and profile since sometimes culling can decrease performance due to CPU overhead.

If you are targeting higher-end devices you can look into your own rendering tech with 2D texture arrays.

could you send me a link to the docs for TMXFastTiledMap. I havent found anything.

You’d have to look at the source.

I think FastTMXLayer is actually where most of the rendering code exists.
https://github.com/cocos2d/cocos2d-x/blob/7dcee2bcf9246c9345578114ae9e0fe7f8cdd996/cocos/2d/CCFastTMXLayer.cpp .