Support for OpenType Fonts

I’m wondering if there has been any thoughts about adding support for OpenType fonts to cocos2d-x. It already supports TrueType fonts through Freetype, I presume. If it is so, then OpenType should be just a step away. I understand Freetype works very well together with Harfbuzz, the OpenType shaping library.

With OpenType, we can display text in language that aren’t possible today in cocos2d-x, for example Indic and Arabic, that need the GSUB and GPOS features to substitute and position glyphs.

It’ll be great to see this in the roadmap!

I am using an open type font in my game at the moment and it seems to be able to display fine - maybe I’ve set up my project wrong?

Which language/script is your OpenType font for? If it’s one that does not need substitution or positioning, there should be no problem. I was referring to scripts that need these … like Khmer, Myanmar, Indic and Arabic for example. Also, I’ve not tried the latest version of cocos2d-x. I’m not sure if support is already added. Will be really nice if you can post some images :slight_smile: