Storage, offline availability, auto updating, shaders, and creator future

Hi there, I have a few question about the way the current version of creator works.

• How do the html and mobile(android/ios) exports handle storage, offline availability and auto-updating?

• And also, are the mobile exports, cordova exports, or some js-to-cpp conversion?

• I read an old post that claimed shaders on creator(cocos-js?) were unreliable, is that the case?
    I also, read that recently you guys had a renderer re-write, maybe that changed things.

• Also, is cocos creator a priority for chukong now?
    Meaning something they will invest on, specially in the JS front, in the longer term.

• One last question, is cocosCreator an electron app?

Any other info related to the above questions, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Good questions.

Iā€™m also very interested in shaders.

Auto-updating (or I guess, ā€œhot updateā€ etc.) has gotten a lot of published games in trouble recently with Apple.

From the way they have positioned and advertised it, it seems as though Cocos Creator is the long term singular project they will devote resources to. This angle makes sense, especially since they need momentum to counteract the near-monopoly Unity has on developers, and this is pretty similar.

Iā€™ve been here since Cocos 2.x (when everything was still a shoddy ObjC-mannered port).
I have faith in this new direction, though they have bounced around quickly before abandoning projects for greener pastures in the past.

Cocos Creator is based on electron.

IF it is based on electron, then why is there no linux version?

Thanks for the answers, everything you said

Thereā€™s currently no ā€˜properā€™ way of doing it, but it can be hacked like this: https://github.com/colin3dmax/CocosCreator

We will be reworking the core rendering module to support proper shader and lighting later 2017. So stay tuned.

Creator is a big project and thereā€™s no way to automatically make everything works on linux. We are dealing with windows and mac platform specific issues everyday. Consider the user base of linux itā€™s unlikely to get approved.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for replying. Part of my initial question about storage had to do with this:
Does Creator auto download every single asset that your game has, at startup/load time, or can you select what is downloaded and when, like a normal web app.
Many web engines out there effectively force you to bundle monolithic packs, which I believe kills the entire modular idea of the web.

Thanks again!! :slight_smile:

@nantas
Btw, if you guys ever decide to port to linux, using Codeweavers might be a low cost option:

Just in case you didnā€™t know.