OS X compatibility

@reed clow
Although cocos2d-x supports windows and ubuntu (coming soon), the desktop platforms are only for develop & debug works, not for releasing games.
Since we cannot find an reliable opengles1.1 library on osx, the only chance is in cocos2d-iphone 2.0 roadmap, gles2.0 is compatible on desktop opengl 4.1 cause GL_ARB_ES_compatibility feature.

Although cocos2d-x supports windows and ubuntu (coming soon), the desktop platforms are only for develop & debug works, not for releasing games.

Hi, I could you clarify this last comment? Are you saying you can’t create games targeted for Win32 with cocos2d-x?

I’m new to this, coming from cocos2d-iphone, but I thought cocos2d-x let you build for ios/Android/win32. Thanks.

Hi, Dave. Currently cocos2d-x win32 port depends on PowerVR OpenGLES1.1 library to convert opengles invokes to opengl. But this library is not very stable, If you publish windows games with this library, your users perhaps cannot run the game successfully, since the powervr library can not support all kinds of video cards. (We’re considering to convert opengles invokes to opengl by engine itself, linux port has done it.)
And another problem is that, cocos2d-x cannot pass the PC keyboard messages, you had to extend this module by yourself.
So I said windows port is better to be a develope/debug platform for android/ios games, but don’t ship your cocos2d-x game on windows currently.

Thanks for the explanation, Walzer. Looking forward to seeing a Windows solution down the road.

How difficult would it be to integrate with SFML or SDL?

Just wondering if that could be a solution for me in the future if I ever decide to port my mobile projects to the desktop.

Not far away. When the sub-project of action editor starts, we had to make cocos2d-x stable on desktop systems.

Hi,

I currently developing an flash kind editor for cocos2d.
I still in the early alpha stages.
I need to finish the UI components.
But this is just a very alpha preview .
I am am very interestanted to find out about the osx port when will be available?