Need your feedbacks of the new documents

Cocos2d-x has been complained by lacking of documents for a long long time. Today we have the first step. I’m happy to announce the new document system. You can enter it from website > Learn> Docs, or just click this link. There’re some new documents, especially for v3.0 in it. And we add Chinese translation to this document system, Korean, Japan and other languages can be extended in the future.

The new document system is actually a github repository at https://github.com/cocos2d/cocos-docs, its folder structure is designed for merging contributions and multiple languages easily. If you would like to add documents or just add a translation to your language, please read this “Contributors Guide” and send pull request to us

The catalog listed lots of documents to write, but we haven’t finished all of them.

I would appreciate if you can leave your ideas and feedbacks at this thread.

Documentation in many languages == problem with updating

Could I write a few of those documents?

Maybe spend some time on proofreading? For example,

http://www.cocos2d-x.org/cocos-docs/manual/framework/native/gui/overview/en
Search the word “Get displyed text”

Thanks winipcfg, I’ve fixed this typo. All the docs writes are not English native speaker :slight_smile:

Dawid Drozd wrote:

Agree. Another option is that, we only show English docs on this website. If local communities translate these documents, then they can show it on cocos2d-x local websites, such as cocos2d-x.jp. I’m still considering this.

I’m glad to see the renewed effort toward documentation :slight_smile:

What kind of contribution are you looking for? Since the English docs are written by a non-native speaker, I’d be happy to help edit the English documents for clarity, grammar, and spelling (unfortunately, English is the only language I know).

Also, are you going to be migrating articles from the old wiki to the new documentation system? If so, I would be willing to help with that, including splitting up articles into 2.x and 3.0 versions if necessary.

Zhe Wang wrote:

Dawid Drozd wrote:
> Documentation in many languages == problem with updating
>
Agree. Another option is that, we only show English docs on this website. If local communities translate these documents, then they can show it on cocos2d-x local websites, such as cocos2d-x.jp. I’m still considering this.

Good thing will be if on translated site will be shown that this doc is probably out of date.

Jason Slack-Moehrle wrote:

Could I write a few of those documents?

Of course, welcome! You can fork http://github.com/cocos2d/cocos-docs, and contribute in the same way as other open source projects. You can read this Contributors Guide

There doesn’t seem to be a consistent means of indicating which documents pertain to v2.X and which are v3.0. For example, under “Inputs,” there’s an “Event Dispatcher” document that is only for v3.0, but there is nothing in the title, table of contents, or even the document itself that says it’s 3.0-only.

On the other hand, under “Data Structure,” there are two clearly labelled sections, one for v2.x and one for v3.0.

Perhaps there should be a standard for this?

There’s quite a number of spelling mistake:

For example :
Under contribution guideline :
“Floder Structure”

Gui > Containers> Usage of Container Layer :
“Noraml widget”? Guess is Normal widget

Data Structures -> Map :
“Because we carefully design the cocos2d::Map<K,V> container as a replacement for cocos2d::CCDictionary, please use cocos2d::Vector instead of cocos2d::CCDictionary.”?
I guess it should be “please use cocos2d::Map” not “please use cocos2d::Vector”.

Are there anyway to contribute for spelling mistake directly?

Dawid Drozd wrote:

Not neccesariously, I think that if all of us pithed in and commited to keep the articles up to date it would work. Maybe not ALL documents, but the most basic, relevant and important.

I do think, tho, that the official team should focus their main efforts in the English files, since it’s the most accesible language world-wide (I’m Spanish native speaker, and I’m sure there are people from all over the world using this site and framework, our best bet nowadays would be supporting English first and then everything else. Althought if most of the official team speaks Chinese natively it’s understandable that first versions and updates will always be there).

Hi guys,

I think it’s a big mistake to have mult-language documentation. The cocos2d community needs to focus on core business, and to me that is:
* Trying do make the most competitive game engine
* Trying to do the most competitive documentation in english. If all resources focus on one documentation that documentation will be better than it would have been if the resources tried to write in their own language. It’s as simple as that.

Ever heard of divide and concur? Your competitors don’t have to divide cocos2d community, the cocos2d community does that by its own. That sounds very strange to me.

Just my two cents.

html version please

The new format looks really nice!

bunny, I started adding sentences like version: since 3.0-alpha0 in most documents. I think it would make sense to write which version started this feature and which version deprecated it in each doc. Thank your for your advice. I would write it into cocos-docs writing rule.

I would appreciate a lot if you could help us to fix English grammars. As you may know, most cocos2d-x core developers are not native English speaker, (Ricardo, Minggo, James and me…). I do have a plan to migrate most of wiki pages into cocos-docs, but I know that updating them to v3.0 is a huge of work. If we start today, then it perhaps can be done in March or April.

The old Wiki system will be left to FAQ only. I considered a FAQ system for a several months, and finally found that FAQ system such as http://www.phpmyfaq.de/, is actually a wiki. Stackoverflow also list some wiki systems for building a FAQ knowledge base. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/284477/anybody-knows-any-knowledge-base-open-source. That’s my idea. Here’s the very beginning of FAQ http://www.cocos2d-x.org/forums/6/topics/42000

zhi liang teoh, thanks. I’ve fixed these typos.
To contribute into docs, the easiest way is following the workflow of github. Fork > commit> send a pull request.

Dear Sebastián Vansteenkiste. Thank you for reading the tutorial.:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
The JS code is belong to the cocos2d-html5_i/IronCity.
The IronCity didn’t use about Scene Editor and Data Editor which has been told in the tutorial.
So the tutorial use another examples came from the CocoStudio native sample to share the features about Scene Editor and Data Editor.

Rao ZiJian wrote:

Dear Sebastián Vansteenkiste. Thank you for reading the tutorial.:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
The JS code is belong to the cocos2d-html5_i/IronCity.
The IronCity didn’t use about Scene Editor and Data Editor which has been told in the tutorial.
So the tutorial use another examples came from the CocoStudio native sample to share the features about Scene Editor and Data Editor.

Thanks and sorry.

I should really not post comments like those after looking at things only once at 3am.

Zhe Wang wrote:

bunny, I started adding sentences like version: since 3.0-alpha0 in most documents. I think it would make sense to write which version started this feature and which version deprecated it in each doc. Thank your for your advice. I would write it into cocos-docs writing rule.
>
I would appreciate a lot if you could help us to fix English grammars. As you may know, most cocos2d-x core developers are not native English speaker, (Ricardo, Minggo, James and me…). I do have a plan to migrate most of wiki pages into cocos-docs, but I know that updating them to v3.0 is a huge of work. If we start today, then it perhaps can be done in March or April.
>

Excellent. I happen to have some free time these days, so I will help out with English spelling, etc.