Moving from cocos2d-iphone to cocos2d-x

Hi guys!

I am an experienced cocos2d-iphone developer and I am currently trying out cocos2d-x to port my game from iOS to Android. I have NO experience in Android development whatsoever, so I kindly ask for some startup advice :slight_smile:

1. STARTUP
    First of all, I am having problems with HelloWorld in the emulator. The cpp project created with python script builds ok, but emulator is black and after some time it only displays “android”. I have created and deleted many emulators, all had host gpu ticked, but none actually worked. The console is silent (shows nothing after finishing the build). I am using cocos2d-x 2.2 Android NDK r9c and ADT 22.3.

2. DEVICES
    I currently have no device with Android, I was hoping to play with the emulator first. But what device do I need? Is it important to support devices before Android 4, or my life will be much easier with 4+ ? Also, the question about resolutions - should I have more than one device and at least one tablet?

3. READING
    Are there any good books about cocos2d-x Android development?

4. MISC
    If you have any advice for a freshman, plase shoot me. Like, do I need any Android license (at which step) ? Is it ok to use Eclipse IDE for cpp development? What is logcat and is it more important than regular console? I know this all sounds very noobish but any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Try follow this tutorial

Usually aim at 2.3.3 which I believe is android-10 is fine, which means you can deploy to both kindle and google play

I find android doc by google and stackoverflow pretty sufficient, cocos2d-x it self shouldn’t be hard since you know cocos2d-iphone

You’ll need to create dev account on Amazon or google depends on which one you want to publish.
Eclipse for cpp is a PAIN! It will report syntax error on perfectly fine code. Have to learn to ignore that, but otherwise it’s ok to use, because you need it for debugging.
logcat is where you get output from your android device.