Meetups vs Online events

In fact Meetups vs Online events vs Fixing errors vs Writing documentation

Why do you organizing a Meetups?

• To promote engine? The engine has a huge community, but only a small percentage has the opportunity to come.

• To help people?
    This is not a good idea to help only a few who are lucky enough to live nearby. Does all the other developers around the world do not need presentations and advice?
    And to be honest, If you prefer to fix errors instead of meetups then many people will be happy.

How about a really useful online action?

• You can talk to people in the chat. And help them to solve current problems.

• Or write useful video about the new features.
    I read on the forum that you intend to release a training video about the sdkbox. Is there any progress? Or how about a programmer’s guide? Or is it the final version, and you think that it is good enough documentation?

• Or organize new competitions.
    Tutorials competition was the best event of all time. Why? Because it was entertaining for those who participated in it and helped the entire community. And of course everyone able to participate.

Other suggestions?

Sure it was, @slackmoehrle why we stopped such events. they were nice and brings lots of fresh knowledge on the table. any plan to organize them sooner

1 Like

You can find in youtube there are a lot of video of cocos2d.
I think Organize competition is interesting chalenging for developers. Competition has advantage and disadvantage, so becarefull if choosing it. :smile:

We just did the one and haven’t really thought about doing another.

Do you all really want a tutorial competition?

Yes I know. I viewed video from the Sonar Systems, when they are only just appeared, and while the official documentation was very bad.
But for me the official video and the official documentation is the higher priority.

Although to be honest, that’s the case with Sonar Systems is the case when a third-party documentation was better than the original.
@SonarSystems Thank you guys!

I have not enough experience in this. Therefore, I would like to ask what could be the disadvantage?

Of course not!
Who likes events? And of course No One is interested in new documentation.

No thank you for your support.

previous one was great. It showed commitments of erudite developers to contribute and help community and newbies. I think competitions should be held at least once a year, and every one should contribute.

it would be awesome if we can manage to get more developers to contribute.

I think documenting stuff and creating games is two different fields, i am talking about new ideas, informative tutorials which haven’t been created yet or exists with obsolete implementation.

then what’s your suggestion to improve the situation?

i do :heart_eyes:

yes, that’s why community has put together “Official Programmers Guide” have you already checked it? Its a good start.

Actifo :> “I have not enough experience in this. Therefore, I would like to ask what could be the disadvantage?”

Some of disadvantages are a.) you need people and material to prepare it, so you have 2 focuses updating cocos2d and preparing the competition that need a lot of days. b.) Materials are not about reward only, you must create advertising to publish in media, challenge itself, etc. c.) Some developer will take advantage that they just look for the prize. When competition is over, they will leave immediately.

@Lazy_Gamer
I totally agree with you.

it was 100% sarcasm.

The open wiki, which is very easy to make changes. Or the concept of the site php.net. Just a concept, not a full copy, because cocos has the specificity. (CitizenK suggested this in another topic.)
And in addition to this opening events to encourage users to write content. Quality content.

Or, I would like to hear a concrete plan from the developers. And if it approves At least half of the community, I really will try to help them.

And I have been watching the Programmer’s Guide since it was just started. I have some opinions about it. But first I would like to clarify something with @slackmoehrle. Maybe my opinion will change.

@fikry Thank you!

Agree

Really? Could you tell more? Forgive me for my importunity, but I am really wonder.

Agree

I do not understand it. If someone has participated only for awards, I see two possible consequences:

1. He is an experienced programmer and wrote a good tutorial. And maybe even he won something. So, the community gets one more quality tutorial (or maybe it’s a new chapter in the Programmer’s Guide.) Is it not worth the effort?
  2. He is not competent programmer. And he wrote a bad tutorial. But then he gets nothing and the community has nothing to lose, too.

However, if we have many of these cases “2”, the community has a big problem.

“that need a lot of days” means

• Some days for preparing that creating concept, committee, standart procedure like requirements of developer, rules of competition, etc. The important one is your own budget, how much budget will use for competition (reward, advertising, etc).
  • Some days for registration process, registration will need a lot of days, maybe some of months.
  • Some days for competition or checking result of registration.
  • Some days for publishing result of competition. It will be faster or slower regarding how fast contestant giving response. We have to make sure the winner get the prize.
  • Some days for evaluating of the result, is it expected result or no. You must discuss with team for using it or no.

The reason that I mentioned above are general issue, beside that there have unpredictable issue that you have to prepare facing it.

keep smile :smile:

Many thanks for the detailed answer.)

it should be positive and constructive one,

maintaining quality will be a huge issue as i believe there are not many active maintainers i am aware of

half of the Community?? i believe its never gonna happen(strictly my personal opinion), most of developers are too busy or not so willing to contribute. If you really wanna contribute then ask @slackmoehrle what he thinks is lacking and just start doing it.

i believe one of us are off the track, by competition i mean tutorial competition, and i don’t think it will require that much effort and resources(from developer end) as you suggest, check this one out, it was held back in 2014 i guess.

Sorry, I don’t know what kind of competition will be held, I think competition like TopCoder.
If competition doesn’t too complicated, I think it will not require much resources.

keep smile :smile: