Lotus2D Kickstarter Campaign

Hello!

I am excited to talk about Lotus2D. This is a game engine/editor with some emphasis on role playing games (it has a tilemaps system etc). The reason I’m posting here is because its games are powered by Cocos2d-x, and I figured I should let you know about it!

We are at the moment running a Kickstarter campaign you can check here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/388738424/lotus2d-game-engine, which will help us accelerate its development and ensure a quality product.

2 Likes

Hi,
Your tool looks great, congratulations. Using ruby as script language is genius. I hope you will get what you aim.

Really good to hear that you’re starting something great.

How will you be taking care of optimising big levels(Suppose I’ve really long level and if I’ll import your scene in my code then it will import entire level all at once…).

Also, my only question, you’re spending your days and nights, lot of sweat and passion.
Is it something like Unity that you’re building for cocos2d-x! So, how will it be different than cocos-creator? oh is it “everything without writing code? OMG:smiley:
You mentioned that you would be working on other tools as well. May be something like, your tools will have everything that a game development needs(asset creation, asset/altast packing/level creator/music-audio/etc)

:smile:

All the best for campaign and endeavour.

Keep up with the good work

Hello everyone! Thank you for the very kind words!

@catch_up Something that makes Lotus really nice is how it aims to offer specialized tools. For example, at the moment we are putting emphasis on development of role-playing/adventure games like Pokemon, Stardew Valley, Final Fantasy and Zelda, so Lotus will come with builtin tools designed specifically to make the creation of this type of game easier, which include:

• Builtin tiled mapping system
  • Intuitive Event / Behavior system (for creating characters/cutscenes/etc)
  • Two battle systems (one that resembles Final Fantasy and another that resembles Zelda)
  • Inventory/items/skills/currency/weather/party systems
  • And other features that cater mainly to role playing games.

And of course, the inclusion of high quality, free assets (tilesets, characters, portraits, animations, music, sounds, etc.) makes it far easier for developers to hit the ground running.

With these, you can create games like these with no programming required. But we do not intend to stop there: we want to integrate tools for other genres as well, like platformers overtime.

So I suppose you can see Lotus as a set of specialized tools to make particular games easier to create. And if you’re not entirely satisfied with them, you can extend your game’s behavior using Ruby scripting anyway (but our goal is to provide as many robust tools as possible to minimize the need for programming - we want to hear the feedback from the community to improve upon this engine).

Cocos2d-x is a very complete and excellent tool, so we are confident that the limit is the sky :] - we are very thankful to this community for the development of such a great product, and we hope to give back to it with Lotus2D!

1 Like

Looks like a neat project and glad to see you kept it focused. Good luck. I probably won’t use if it requires Ruby, but maybe it sounds like you’re using the JVM as a backend with JET and might work with (but not support) other languages?

Hello @stevetranby! Although Ruby is indeed its main scripting language, we do have plans to support Javascript as well. We understand that Ruby may not be everybody’s favorite, and will do our best to support both languages!

Is javascript what you were hoping for, or did you have another language in mind?

It doesn’t really matter for simple scripting. And honestly I’ll use one of the tool’s language support for any tool that’s good enough to warrant me learning another language. I was mostly just curious if you’re support was at the JVM level or the Ruby level. I already know Javascript so that would be more useful for me, but whatever, I’m probably not your main target anyway. I’ll be trying out the early access builds.

Looks like RPG Maker on top of Cocos2d-x. Good job

Thanks! Certainly inspired by RM’s ease of use!