JavaScript Bindings supported platforms?

Hi Everyone -

I was wondering if the wiki page that outlines the supported platforms is currently up-to-date?

Specifically, I was wondering if I can release games on Mac, Linux, Windows, iOS, and Android using the JavaScript bindings? I’m talking Cocos2d-HTML either as I’d prefer the native performance of Cocos2d-x native. The wiki lists only iOS, Android, and Windows as being supported but not Mac or Linux. Is that still the case?

I could write my own wrapper around cocos2dx-html for Win, Linux, and Mac (Chromium Embedded) and then use Cocos2d-x for my mobile needs. However, I’d much rather Cocos2d-x for all platforms :slight_smile:

JSB supports iOS, android and win32, only 3 platforms.
You can take a look at samples/Javascript/TestJavascript, I mean, you can take ntaive performance benifits.

For cocos2d-html5, it can run on all HTML5 ready browsers.

For spidermonkey of MAC, you could build it from this script (https://github.com/ricardoquesada/Spidermonkey/blob/master/js/src/build-osx/build.sh).
For spidermonkey of Linux, it’s very easy to build. I think the command is the same as js/src/build-win32/build.sh.

We don’t want to support these plaforms since there aren’t so many requirements for them. Even more, it’ll take much more cost of maintaining these platforms.

Thanks for the answers guys

Are you saying I could “easily” build the SpiderMonkey library I need to make cocos2dx work on Linux and Mac? Are there any known issues with these platforms? Will cocos2d-x itself work and the problem is SpiderMonkey on those platforms?

Yes, cocos2d-x JSB only depends on Spidermonkey(JS engine of FireFox), so if you could build a version of spidermonkey for a new platform, then it’ll be easy to make it works.

Jason LaChapelle wrote:

Thanks for the answers guys
>
Are you saying I could “easily” build the SpiderMonkey library I need to make cocos2dx work on Linux and Mac? Are there any known issues with these platforms? Will cocos2d-x itself work and the problem is SpiderMonkey on those platforms?

This is very encouraging. Thank you!

Now if I can figure out how to wrap the cocos2dx JavaScript API so it plays nicer and looks prettier in coffee script I’ll be good to go