How to deploy Mac version to Steam?

To deploy to Steam, I have to copy all the files necessary for running the game into a content folder that Steam will pick up. For Windows, that was very simple, simply use the release folder. However, on my Mac, I don’t see where the executable and resource files are. Any suggestions? I build in xcode.

thanks!

You can use the Project->Archive menu item to package up your app. Once archived the archives window will open (Window->Organizer from menu). Here you can select the archived version you want and then click export... button.

If you “Show package contents” the executable resides at
MyProjectName.app/Contents/MacOS/MyProjectName

It sounds to me that @dogwalker wants to add dependencies for Steam specific deployment. So perhaps via the copy resources build phase? Then, yes Archive it, export it, etc.

Did I miss-understand something?

Thanks, guys! I’ll try those out tonight. I remember I couldn’t even find the app that xcode builds, but you gave me some great ideas to get started. I’ll let you know how things go. Thanks!

Ok, I’ve now created the Archive (thanks!), and I can export it. In fact, I exported it once to confirm. I have a question on the export - I can export as a signed application or just as a Mac application. I would think just as a Mac application for Steam, but thought I’d check with anyone who’s deployed to Steam before.

I guess now I need to find out whether I can simply put that .app file in the content folder. I looked over some Steam documentation during lunch, and it seemed to indicate there are some hoops with downloading a python application, installing a specific version of python, and more.

Would love to hear from someone who’s actually deployed a Mac app on Steam, find out more of what you had to do.

thanks again

I’ve been talking to the Steam folks, and it seems they no longer use the python script, but want me to copy my Mac files over to Windows to deploy.

I think I’ll look into the Mac App Store, too. Is it true that Apple rejects cocos2dx games, because there’s no resize controls?

I think you can just export the unsigned mac .app folder. They’re probably telling you to copy over to windows since you’re already uploading builds on windows. Honestly I think the documentation (and youtube videos) make it relatively straightforward. Just add the content (using windows explorer or whatever, and add a build script for Mac, possibly with a “common” script).
https://partner.steamgames.com/documentation/steampipe

If you can’t figure it out in a few days reply and I’ll check in with our team members who handle uploading the Steam builds (I handle the mobile uploads and submissions).

As for Mac App Store there has been a rejection due to not having fullscreen. I’m not positive this is required, but seems that at minimum they don’t want a pure direct mobile port.

I can launch my game in full screen on the Mac, but I don’t get the red/yellow/green buttons or any top bar in fact.

As for Steam, I can do the app file, but then I won’t be able to wrap it with their DRM. However, one fellow replied that I could use some API (I’ll have to look it up), something about “steam must restart”

thanks again!

Yeah in the documentation that I linked explains DRM on OSX and wrapping the content (though you mentioned the Steam folks said no python script is necessary anymore, but maybe that was an unrelated thing).

If your application is incompatible with Steamworks DRM, you should use RestartSteamIfNecessary() and bIsSubscribedApp() to ensure Steam is running and the user has a license for the AppID.

Thanks, Steve. I haven’t linked with the Steam API yet, but it looks like it’s time! Thanks very much.

The guy on our team who does the steam builds also confirmed they just upload the .app file (folder).
Looks like Rusty confirms this.

Awesome, thanks!

Hey, everyone, I want to resurrect this thread just to say THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Steve, your instructions made so much sense, and I now have the new version of my game running on Mac! Thanks!!