How to CREATE a GAME like

As the game was made with Unity, I guess they used something like http://protilemapeditor.com

A 3D Tilemap(editor) is not any different to the isometric 3D version. The only difference are the assets, which are 3D objects instead of 2D shapes.

E.g. FEZ used an in-house editor, which was “3D based”, so you were able to rotate the planes and set the tiles for each of it. It’s called the “Fezzer”.
You can read how the scene/editor was used here:

For the impatient:

Bedard and Fish created their own editor for Fez, called the Fezzer, and designed what they deemed “trixels,” blocks like voxels but at 16x16x16, or as Bedard described it, four 2D views creating one 3D world. Instead of a standard 2D tile set, Bedard built 3D “triles” – 302 of them – in 17 trile sets. Fez will have 157 isolated levels, and these triles make up all of them.

The scene on the right is actually in 3D and you can draw/set the textures on the 3D blocks on the right.

Look at the PS plugins, to get an idea of how assets can also be created:

People often build their own tools:
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/tilemap-3d-cube-editor.94193/

You can see a TileMap as a construct, which holds the coordinates for the placement of fixed-blocked assets.

1 Like

I use EXACT_FIT resolution policy :smile:

Yes, this is the solution to make number of tiles in width and height same for every resolution but it will ruins the graphics look on the screen by stretching/compressing !! :frowning:

The Show all policy is what you want. It will preserve the ratio and show all content. The cost of this is, that can you get borders on all sides.

1 Like

Ya, but on smaller devices whose resolution is high, I should infact use the screen, isn’t it.
Also, designing the game which will left the border on the screen is not a good strategy ! :frowning:

So, as of now, I am not able to think of any strategy except that to make 8 different tiles maps and 8 different graphics if I’ve 8 kinds of resolutions !! :frowning:

Show all uses the maximum of the device screen, needed to display all of your content. TileMaps are a little different to static screens, as you can pan around, so yes, you should use the complete screen. I was just referring to a static screen like a background, that should not be cropped.

It depends on your screen design. If you want the assets/screen design always display to the highest grade possible(e.g. keeping relative asset offsets or spaces between the assets) on all devices, its a very good strategy. You only get a 1:1 look and feel screen design by designing your game with borders. Some designers just don’t want to space out the UI differently, just because the device resolution is different to your design resolution.

There’s no need for that, as the TileMap itself is pannable anyway. Resolutions, that are not multiplies of your tiles, will just show parts of a tile at the border. Not a problem at all, except you want to make your TileMap static, and the character running around on the fixed map only consisting of full pixel-perfect tiles.

You have two possibilities for panning:
Static map and border-scrolling: The character can run around on the map freely and the time it reaches the border, the map would scroll. Eg. as in the Sonic the Hedgehog games or the Mega Man series.

Character always at the center and a dynamic map, which is moved.

1 Like

@iQD
Yes, you are correct that tilemap is pannable but my main problem comes when I say that enemy must spawn at suppose 30th tiles from left and 10th tile from bottom.
It may happen that this 30th tile would be visible in some high resolution device while in low resolution device it may not be visible !!

Also not really a problem. Your map is pannable :wink:

Calculate, if that tile is visible on the screen or not.
If it’s not visible, then just auto-pan to that tile.
Problem solved :smile:

Another solution would be to scale your assets based on the device resolution, so each resolution has the same amount of visible tiles.

But i never had problem with this.

Calculate, if that tile is visible on the screen or not.
If it’s not visible, then just auto-pan to that tile.
This can be done…

But this is not in my case, as I feel!

Think that my game has just started where I have my player at left bottom of the screen.
My player will always be at the center of the screen if is trying to go beyond (screen dimensions)/2.
But now it is at the left bottom corner. But in my tile map, I’ve set that my enemy should spawn at 30th tile. Or the worse case, I’ve more than just 1 enemy .It may happen that this 30th tile would be visible in some high resolution device while in low resolution device it may not be visible !

Now, I cannot auto-pan to the enemy right, because focus should be on the player!!

Ya, this is what I am actually looking for and that is why @smitpatel88 was saying me to use EXACTFIT in which case the assets will be scaled but will scaled in different proportions of x and y.
Which is not a good thing. And infact in such a case SHOWALL will be better!! because atleast the assets are not looking strange due scaling with different proportions in width and height of that asset!!

@smitpatel88

Kindly see this,

When i was creating my tmx game, i tried putting diff resolution policy with diff resolution and i didn’t see any difference so i finally used EXACT_FIT.

Interesting. I read about Fezzer a bit but when I was watching the movie I thought Phil was using Photoshop for this!

Oh…
did you used your TMX only for the background?
And even if for the background then I think the tiles should get scaled with different proportions in width and height if we use EXACT_FIT, right? And since the background tiles are scaled in such disproportionate manner and if you tell your code to spawn your enemy at the center of the 30th tile, then it may happen that ton one device it has scaled the tile more broadly(width wise more) but in other size it has scaled as you wished… So, in the case of the device where it scaled broadly, then the enemy will be outside the screen because the tile center of 30th tile would shift outside the screen because of all the tiles being broadened and it would cause the adjacent tiles to shift right!!

If you’ve such a game online/store can I see that?

IIRC the movie, he was creating the assets with PS and used those in Fezzer.

Yeah, but the pic you posted is Fezzer?

Yep. That’s Fezzer.

Ah, you had the impression, that the screenshot was PS when watching the movie?

I am not getting your point(i think you are thiking too high). But you can check my game, may be it will give you some ideas
Also remember whatever is scale factor that applies to all sprites, so that applies to enemy too.
snakyworm

Then why not used the Fixed Height policy?

It will ensure the same amount of tiles on every device resolution, keeps the ratio and allows your map width beeing larger than it’s height.

The tile amount in width will only differ in minor scale, as the ratios of different devices are not that different.

You will basically get a difference of about 1-2 tiles.

Indeed that was what I thought! I was very interested in the left had “folder stye” palette trying to figure out how I could get that in Creative Cloud :smile:

Along the lines of the movie I wonder what custom tools were used in SMB and Braid…