How to CREATE a GAME like

@corytrese

Your game heroes of steal looks cool :smiley:
I wish I would learn something similar in coming time although not that complex :smile:

The easiest way to manage collision on tile maps is to do it at the tile level. If you need to bisect tiles into smaller pieces for your collision detection, that will cause the game to require more CPU, but it is certainly possible.

We avoided that by rounding off tiles – if there is a little bit of water on the tile, then we let the player walk on it. If the tile is mostly water, then we don’t.

It is possible you would want to break your tile size down slightly. I’m just guessing, I have not wanted to build a game with that type of behavior yet.

1 Like

Like i said, I started with the tutorial you linked above and kept adding stuff. Using Spine for the characters was a really good decision as well. TileEd + Spine = Fun =)

1 Like
  1. Ya, each room is the sort of a minilevel of the whole map. It gets loaded once you reach then edge of a screen in a particular direction. North, South, East, West, NE, NW, SE, SW. The logic to check which room to load is the tricky part. For that I recommended checking out GM tutorials on youtube and see how they do it.

2. Yes there is only one TILED :smiley:

Nice game dude. Congrads on the number of downlaods. WOuld love to see how to achieve such numbers :smiley:

@siddharthshekar

Hi, will this particular would be good start for me to start learning tile game concept so that I can implement in cocos2d-x !

Thanxx

Ya sure. He is quite good. check it out.

I think this is the best place to start making a tile based game in CC2d-x.

1 Like

Hi, recently I’ve come across a game Crossy Road.

I am not targeting this game and only focusing on just simple 2D tile game as in raywenderlich tutorial.

But I just wanted to know how is this created out of curiosity?
Is this also something like 3D tiled game and some software like ‘Tiled’ exists for this but in 3D?

Thanxx :slight_smile:

@corytrese
@siddharthshekar
and other guys

Hi please see to my previous post too…

Ok… I was following this

Still need to learn a lot and lot more but for the time being my very basic concepts are clear.

Now, I am going to follow this below tutorial.

@slackmoehrle
I need a suggestion !
So, I should use Follow Action on the player to follow it across the map or shall I move the entire map with the setPosition logic mentioned in the former tutorial ?

Thanxx :smile:

Waiting for the reply!

depends upon the game that you are making. I prefer moving the object by its position instead of action as I feel that I have more control of the movement of the player.

@siddharthshekar

But in any case it is about moving a layer or moving a player!
If I want to have better control won’t it be good if I move player and not the map.
And If I am moving my player and not map then I would have to use Follow action!!

Otherwise, if you move your map then is that according to similar logic as in setPosition function at

Can you please elaborate a little?
I don’t know what game I am making but I am just trying to make something?

Eaitherway you have to move the player or the layer. Wether it is through actions(CCActions) or incrementing the player position in update

@siddharthshekar

In your case, you’re actually moving the layer with follow action on the player… And infact player is moving.
But what I am saying that instead of moving the player the underlying entire tile map will move.

The effect will be same but this is the difference!!

@siddharthshekar
@corytrese
@slackmoehrle

Hi,

1. how to make it muti resolution?

2. Can you please write few steps for take into consideration?

3. Or shall I focus first on programming with respective coordinate instead of actual coordinates and later I can add multi resolution thing ?

4. Also, do I’ve to create different maps for different devices or what?

5. I sometimes wonder, how people learn when such things aren’t available in detail on internet. Is it through trial and error or what? hahaha

Thanxx :smile:

I think the concepts here apply: http://www.cocos2d-x.org/wiki/Multi_resolution_support

@slackmoehrle

So, that means I would have to create different TMX map for the resolutions I am targetting?

I mean… Suppose, I talk about android. There is a common area in which all resolution fits so in this area I’ve to design my main things and other regions I can put extra which are not very crucial.
But if here I will put then the extra tiles will be seen which are actually outside the area in other resolutions!!

I think it is handled not the normal way as given in multi resolution wiki which is why I put up the question !!

(To further clarify, I don’t wish to show extra tiles for bigger resolutions because then what if my enemy is on the tile which is visible on one resolution screen while it is just outside in one of them. That will not just make me create assets for every resolution that exists but also I would have to care that game play is similar and the number of tiles which looks on one resolution should be same as the other resoltuion !!)

@corytrese
So what do you say?
Do, I first concentrate on one resolution and then later for different resolutions, I can make tiles of difference sizes, I mean in some as 32 x 32 and in some 64 x 64 but in some 32 x 48, so that number of tiles in width and height are same for every mobile!!

You will need diff tmx for each resolution set, i.e. if you are using tileset 100x100 for HD
than 50x50 and 25x25 for lower set OR
you can follow these thread,

Enjoy coding.

1 Like

I use the same TMX files for every resolution and every playtform.

@corytrese
@smitpatel88

(Read landscape wise orientation)

But did you notice that this way, I would end up having more tiles in, suppose, width as compared to other device which has lesser width to the former !!

Are you understand my doubt?

@corytrese

You mean that you used only one TMX map?
But you would have different graphic assets for different resolutions right?
If yes, then what to do for the setting in the starting which asks to set the resolution of the tile size !!
See, in below image I’ve 32x32 for my tile size of 32x 32.

And how can I have same TMX if I am having different sized graphic assets for different resolution?