FPS drops in android 6

Hi!

I’ve noticed frame rate drops in devices with android 6. Before update render time was about 0.001 second but after update to android 6 it starts at 0.005 and after some time it even goes to 0.014 second and frame rate drops to 52. I’ve updated my android sdk, android ndk and also have changed sdk versions in build.gradle files in the project. However none of them helped me to solve the problem. How can I fix this issue ?

Thanks,

No one having the same issue ?

Even a simple app(new project without any drawings) runs with render time 0.001 on API 22 devices but the same app runs with render time 0.005 on Marshmallow devices. Is it related to Marshmallow or cocos2dx ?

I’m getting 60fps for Hello World on the Nexus 9 (v6.0.1)

1 Like

Thanks for your reply @devnoob. Although in my LG G4 FPS drops to 52 after some minutes but my main problem is render time, which is about 0.005 seconds in devices with android 6 (LG G4, Samsung S6 and Nexus 6P). However in other devices with android 5 and less this is about 0.001. Could you please check this for me in your device ?

Thanks

I think this is the issue you are facing.

Thank you for your response. I already checked that post but I think my problem is different. Even in a empty project with black screen I have the same issue.

@slackmoehrle could you please help me in this manner ?

I think this issue appear on QHD devices.

You mean it’s not related to android version. right ? I’m not sure but I remember that it was OK in my G4 phone before updating it to android 6. It would be appreciated if someone checks it on any QHD device with android 5 and inform us what the problem is. Do you know any way to solve this @energyy ?

it’s is QHD + android 6 + new cocos2d-x - I think this combination makes it lag;)

Ahh Thanks :smiley:. I’m using cocos2d-x 3.10. Have you tested it with another version of cocos2d-x ?

I think all 3.3+ versions have such behaviour;)

It seems you are right. I tested it on nexus 5 with android 6 which isn’t a QHD device and render time was 0.001.

I think it’s an important issue. There are lots of QHD devices with android 6 now. How others solve this problem ?

@4li How did you measure the time? Have you confirmed that it only has problem on QHD devices?

I measure the time by setting the display stats of cocos2d-x director true. cocos2d::Director::getInstance()->setDisplayStats(true); I’m not sure but I think it has problem with QHD devices with android 6. I’ve tested HelloWorld project on some devices:

LG G4 with android 6 -> it has problem
Samsung Galaxy S6 with android 6 -> it has problem
Nexus 6P with android 6. -> it has problem
Nexus 5 with android 6 -> it does not have problem
Samsung Galaxy S5 with android 5 -> it does not have problem
Sony Z1 with android 5 -> it does not have problem
and some other devices

I’m not sure but I think it was OK in my LG G4 phone before updating to android 6. It would be appreciated if you can test it on some QHD device with android 5.

by saying it does not have problem I mean frame rate constantly is at 60 and render time is 0.001. by saying it has problem I mean render time fluctuates so much and even it goes to 0.018 and frame rate drops to 52. However when I include some movements in code, nexus 6P handles it so good and I can’t see any kind of jerks. However jerks are obvious in Galaxy S6 or LG G4…

Edit
I’ve tested it on Samsung Galaxy S6 edge with android 5.1.1 and it has problem too. Maybe it’s only related to QHD devices.

Thanks

I got the same problem with my App. Using the latest Cocos2d-x from github improved the performance a bit but still I see performance issues, for example my Samsung Galaxy S5 performs better than the S7 or the LG G4.

@4li when you said it is not problem or has problem, did you mean it compared to previous version? Because different devices are different.

@Obg1 did you mean your app’s performances drops after upgrading to android 6 too?

I didn’t get the Android 6 update to my Galaxsy S5, but on the Galaxy S5 I’m getting better performance than on the Galaxy S7 with that has better Hardware and Android 6.0.
The LG G3 works better than the G4 with Android 6.0

It’s true that different devices are different. But dropping FPS to 52 in a powerful device such as LG G4 or Samsung S6 is meaningless. And this happens with the HelloWorld project. Why render time goes to 0.018 in G4 an it is constantly at 0.001 in a weaker device such as G3 or Z1?