Develop for Android on Windows - a plea for help!

OK, it really must just be me, because it can’t be this hard, surely?

I want to look at porting my iPhone game over to Android at some point. I have absolutely no idea about Android development, but thought it was about time I took a look - and what better to start way than by installing the latest cocos2d-x and knocking up a quick Android ‘Hello World’ sample?

I have been searching for an hour now - and I am little further in finding out how to actually do this!

There are a few pages that explain some bits and pieces - many refer to old versions, many have crossed-out text in them (no idea why) and many refer to concepts that I presume are well known to Android developers, but not to me!

I guess what I am looking for is a step-by-step for developing a cocos2d-x game for Android on a Windows computer.

I’m sure I will need to download some stuff (Python for sure, but what about Android dev stuff? An IDE? Can I develop for Android using Visual Studio?

I’m certain that some of these questions are dumb - but if I am asking them (and I have been working in software development for 30+ years) then I figure anyone approaching cocos2d-x as a newbie hoping to write a game for Android will have run 100 miles by now!

Please - can someone point me to some concise information so that I can get set up?

I promise that if I do get set up I will write a step-by-step guide - with pictures! - so that others who follow have a better change than I.

1 Like

Hey, check out this video-tutorial step by step from the SonarSystems guys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ObAzm6rnQ

Hope it helps!

Thanks - that looks like just what I was looking for - I will try to run through it tonight!