Code Recommendation in cocos2d-x for eclipse id as in Xcode

Continuing the discussion from Cocos2d-x 3.0 Online Party:

Hey devs,

It is a bit painful and difficult for a begineer in cocos2d-x to get the actual syntax of the code.
What I am saying is that, Cocos2d-x in mac is having Xcode IDE and it supports predicting the code with suggestions.

Whereas, it is quite difficult for developers using Eclipse IDE
we do not get code prediction, so we have to search through a lot and it’s a painful task
some or the other code always gets missed.

How can we get the code prediction in Eclipse IDE also… ??

Is it already there or is it going to come soon. ??
Please reply

Cocos2dx contains enough example to get you started.Explore this Website.

As far as IDE’s are concerned,i was also once dependant on them. But let me tell you its a bad thing for a programmer.
Also on Windows you have MS Visual Studio. Its as good as Xcode on Mac (from what i heard).

Thanks for the reply.

Yes i do know that depending on them is bad for a programmer.
I’m not going to depend on them my whole life. ha ha… :smile:

Just during the learning process.
because it gives overall idea of how many types are there and what code can be used at what place, stuff like that.

Just need it for that only.
Yes, visual studio is there, but i hardly find anyone using it.
Most of the video tutorials are made using Xcode and hardly any video tutorial i’ve seen having Eclipse, but VS none… :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, does Visual studio support the code recommendation as Xcode does… ??

Yes it does support.

When we write the framework and test cases for cocos2d-x, Mac users will use Xcode and debug on iOS firstly, Windows users will use Visual Studio and debug on windows firstly, then move to eclipse and test on android. Eclipse is not friendly to C++ programmers.

If you’re using Lua or Javascript instead of C++, you can try our Cocos Code IDE, which supports Cocos2d-x Lua & JavaScript API auto-complete, debugging and compilation.

1 Like

@walzer Thanks for the reply. :smile:
So what i could basically make out of this is, Eclipse is not good for debugging.

I am developing games using Android SDK and Eclipse.
Could you please enlighten me !!

Am i able to debug the application and create the android game, if i use VisualStudio2013 to develop android application and debug it… ??

You should take advantage of the cross-platform nature of cocos2d-x : develop and debug all the c++ part of it on Visual Studio, testing on Win32 or WP8 (or if you are on Mac, with Xcode, testing on Mac OS or iOS)

When it’s done, do the Android specific parts on Eclipse (mostly Java, and a bit of JNI). Android environments (be it Eclipse, Android Studio or command line ndk-gdb) are not friendly to C++, because C++ is an afterthought on Android.

@pabitrapadhy If you want to debug c++ on android, AFAIK, there’re some products:

1 Like

ok… let us know if you could negotiate with the ARM.

also it is good to have a specific proprietary IDE + Debugger in cocos Code IDE for c++
as the developers will feel more at home.

I’m checking vs2013 and your suggested options for debugging and will let you know… :smile: