Cocos2d-x 4th Anniversary: Thanks to all users, Open Voting for the Roadmap!

Hi guys, I’m very happy to announce the 4th anniversary of Cocos2d-x! Our community is 4 years old now!

1. PAST

Thanks to all users, contributors and sponsors!

4 years ago, the first version of Cocos2d-x was released. We focused on helping Cocos2d-iphone developers to port their games easily onto Android and other mobile platforms. Personally, my goal was to create a world class open source project.

We’re proud to help developers speed up development and lower the cost of building their games. With financial investment from Chukong Technologies, Cocos2d-x grown rapidly:

• Jul 2010, Cocos2d-x project launched
    • Nov 2010, 1st version released as 0.7.0
    • Jan 2011, 1st Cocos2d-x game was released
    • Feb 2011, FishingJoy was ported to Android by Cocos2d-x team, which soon became the best selling game in China
    • Jul 2011, Cocos2d-x v1.0 released
    • Oct 2011, Setup Coco Software company in Xiamen China, investment by Chukong
    • Nov 2011, #1 and #2 top free games in Chinese AppStore built with Cocos2d-x
    • Mar 2012, Cocos2d-html5 launched with Google’s input and sponsorship
    • May 2012, Cocos2d-x v2.0 released
    • Jun 2012, Cocos Studio launched
    • Sep 2012, 60% of top 10 grossing games in China built with Cocos2d-x
    • Jan 2013, Top 5 grossing games of iPhone and iPad in China built with Cocos2d-x; Cocos Code IDE launched
    • Mar 2013, 8 Cocos2d-x books published
    • Apr 2013, #1 grossing game in South Korea Google Play Store built with Cocos2d-x
    • Oct 2013, Ricardo Quesada, Author of Cocos2d-iphone, joins Cocos2d-x team
    • Nov 2013, 90% of the top 10 grossing games in South Korean Google Play Store built with Cocos2d-x
    • Apr 2014, Cocos2d-x v3.0 released, add renderer, auto-culling, auto batching and tons of new features
    • May 2014, Introduced 3D feature in v3.1, targeting 2.5D games
    • Oct 2014, Demoed Fantasy Warrior 3D, the first full 3D game built with Cocos2d-x v3.3; Fishing Joy 3, Chukong’s first commercial 3D game based on Cocos2d-x v3.0, hit $7M per month revenue.
    • Nov 2014, Certified by Facebook as game engine partner

(Cocos2d-x devcon on spring 2014, with 2,000 audiences)

• Without Google’s sponsorship, we wouldn’t have Cocos2d-html5
  • Without Intel’s sponsorship, we wouldn’t have Android x86 support and html5 benchmark
  • Without Zynga’s help, we wouldn’t have bindings-generator and JavaScript binding
  • Without Microsoft Open Tech’s help, we wouldn’t have WP8 and Windows 8 support
  • Without ARM’s help, we wouldn’t have Android 64-bit support at early stage and C++ debugging in Cocos Code IDE
  • Without you, Cocos2d-x would be nothing but hundreds of source code files :slight_smile:

2. PRESENT

Happy Users Around the World

Today, Cocos2d-x is, without a shadow of doubt, the best choice for 2D mobile games. It has been proven by many top titles around the world.

In the US, Cocos2d-x powers games like:

According to our statistics, as of Nov. 30, 2014, cocos2d-x engine (including cocos2d-x, cocos2d-html5, cocos2d-js, Cocos Studio and Cocos Code IDE) had:

• 3,159,704 downloads of stable versions
  • 30,000+ commits with 450+ contributors

Market shares of cocos2d-x in top 100 grossing iOS & Android games during 2014:

• 45% in China
  • 32% in South Korea
  • 22% in Japan
  • 11% in US

Ecosystem

As far as I know, there’re 35 Cocos2d-x & Cocos2d-js/-html5 books in the world. I have collections of all Cocos2d-x books in the world except one witten in Spanish.

We’re cooperating with more and more partners in mobile industry, to bring the best functionalities, best experiences and best services to Cocos2d-x users.

These collaborations include:

• Facebook promoted Cocos2d-js games to be published cross platform between mobile and web. Following Creator’s Dilemma, cocos2d-x is entering web games from mobile game industry.
  • We’re cooperating with Microsoft to run Cocos2d-x onto Xbox One. A demo version of the engine has already been built.
  • We’ve collaborated with Samsung to dramatically improve Cocos2d-x performance, power consuming on Samsung Android devices.
  • Cocos Code IDE will support C++ debugging, ARM CPU & Mali GPU profiling in the near future, thanks to ARM DS-5’s cooperation.
  • Cocos2d-x developers who have Flash artists in the team can use GAF converter for .swf format conversion. This service will be integrated into Cocos Studio.

3. FUTURE

It’s hard to talk about future. Ricardo taught me “do more, promise less” :wink:

Generally speaking, the future of Cocos2d-x will be:

• Unified framework, New framework supports C++, Lua bindings and JavaScript bindings, if you use JavaScript common API, your game can run on web browsers. Cocos2d-x, Cocos2d-js and quick-x will be merged into one framework to reduce engine fragmentations.
  • Better integrated workflow: With Cocos Studio and Cocos Code IDE, we create an integrated workflow on Cocos.com. Although it’s still unstable and in early stage today, it’s one to watch for the future.
  • Easy-to-use Services: Integrate IAP services (Google, Apple, Amazon), Ads, Analytics services into Cocos2d-x framework. I have successfully run AnySDK.com (a service that helps developers integrate any SDK rapidly) in China. And I plan to bring this service to the world in 2015.
  • Commercial 3D: Enable Cocos2d-x to create a high quality 3D mobile game with commercial success.

Vote for the features your wish on Trello!

The future must be decided by users. Please vote for your necessary or favourite features on the trello! We need your feedbacks!

Anniversay Gifts

By the way, my colleagues prepared some gifts for the 4th anniversary here. If you are interested in the cocos2d-x umbrella and usb key, please visit that post :smile:

7 Likes

There is one event missing from the 2014 timeline…Jason was hired :smile:

I’d love a USB flash drive. Mantin has one and I like it :smile:

4th anniversary! Great :smiley:

I would like to ask you if you could add another card in the studio section.
“Look for images (jpg/png) according to FileUtils::getInstance()->setSearchPaths()”

If I am correct right now you can only set one image and exactly this image is used, ignoring the searchPaths.

Thanks!

Thanks for your feedback! I just add this card in the studio’s list.

I like the idea of voting for the roadmap :smiley:

Congrats Cocos2d-x… 4th anniversary
Keep thriving :wink:

Please bring back the cocos2d-x smileys back again :stuck_out_tongue: hahaha

hahahaha :smiley: LOL

Thanks @walzer for sharing this lovely timelime of cocos2d-x with us.

This is just not the cocos history, but our own history
the history of cocos developers from all around the world :smile:

Really love the idea of letting the developers decide the best features the engine is going to have.
I wish all the very best for team cocos2d-x and all the developers.

with love
@pabitrapadhy :blush:

Great job on cocos guys, you’re open source project is better then a ton of paid ones.

Congratulations on the anniversary!

Great job. We’ll done! Thanks for providing this great engine, Cocos2d team

one thing more, hope Cocos2dx can come up with a better tool for android builds, Eclipse is a pain in the ass. lots of projects work seamlessly in iOS but when it’s time to port to Eclipse, it sucks

1 Like

This has been mentioned again and again,
Win32 Video Player support!

As of yesterday cocos.com is all in Chinese. Is there a new English version? I thought it was going to be a great platform.

Hm… It’s still english for me.

Wierd. If I type in cocos.com I get it in English, if I type in www.cocos.com I get it in Chinese! But they used to both be in English.

uhhh. Either they mixed up the dns entries or they mixed up the server configuration ^^

Is 3.4 released yet?
It looks like it’s final but there is no announcement on the web

now it’s chinese.
@winipcfg http://discuss.cocos2d-x.org/t/latest-stable-version-of-cocos2d-x-released-v3-4-final/19728

Wow, they fixed the DNS but now they both point to the Chinese version. I wonder if this is no longer going to have an English release.