Cocos Creator RoadMap - UPDATED thru 11/2016

Hi @pandamicro,

With the development of Cocos Creator, what will happen with Cocos Studio, will it be deprecated?

Cocos Creator is mainly for js, but can it be a level editor (or development tool like physics editor or animation tool…) for C++?

I notice user need to sign up and login to use Cocos Creator, do this step is a must or optional?

I’m not the one who decide, but Cocos Studio is still here, and Creator doesn’t support C++ and Lua yet, so if you want to stick with C++ / Lua, Studio may be a more reasonable choice.

We have planed to support C++ / Lua via reader in the future, but the solution is still in discussion.

If you are connected to the internet, yes. it’s obligated, but if you don’t have internet access, it won’t ask for login

What’s the ETA on the April update?

Yep, same opinion here. Many people choose cocos instead of unity because it’s open source and C++(which has clear performance advantages in some situations over js bindings), and the fact that it can output lightweight apps due to it’s modularisation it’s what made me choose it for 2D projects over Unreal(which is also C++ and open-source). I also managed to merge into a project a modified version of box2d that I had from an older project, so I do believe that this ability is one of cocos’ strongest points, so I really hope the current cocos format would not be discontinued, I think there are a lot of people out there who still can still benefit from the current advantages that cocos offers.

7 Likes

Only the massive footprint of unreal was hold me by cocos2d-x. I think if cocos2d-x goes down from c++ way, many developer will go to find another alternative. I have deja vu, like Spritebuilder… :frowning:
Hopefully devs of cocos2d-x don’t change the way.

2 Likes

Fully agree! Many of us love cocos2d-x for it’s C++ spirit.

I think, the c++ side can’t goes down. Because cocos creator also use cocos2d-x c++ part and it need c++ head for compiling to desktop-mobile platforms. Check it from Cocos2d Ecosystem

But too many developer use c++ side of cocos2d-x. And I don’t think to using js for now. But I support Cocos Creator solution for cocos-javascript developers. It will be great tool to them.

But there is the chronic problem in here. Too many persons worked on c++ side until today. You released cocos creator and c++ developers are in the backline now. I also think that for Cocos IDE software. It would be a great tool for developers. Maybe you would add c++ feature to new versions of CocosIDE. But you junk it too, I don’t understand these things. Why such? (I’m asking these questions cocos2d-x developer team, not cocos creator)

Even if cocos2d-x go spritebuilder way, the developers won’t have to worry as the engine in itself will always keep getting improved and you can directly use it instead of cocos creator(UI tool).
Also, C++ spirit is appreciated by developers! and not necessarily game programmers.
There is difference between a programmer and a developer. Programmer which most people are wants to get their work as soon as possible without touching internals of the technology they use. While developers are skilled enough to do everything and tweak.

UI tools for game development are made to fasten up the production process. All the industry guess, first invest their time in creating UI tool. Why? Because their subsequent development cycles are fasten up. Even when Angry Birds was being made! Those guys first made the UI tool for level editor(which has box-2d physics attached to objects already!) It fasten up their process up creating hundreds of levels with multiple versions of Angry Birds.

This cocos guys will ensure by making things modular. They mentioned it in some post. It would be as simple as, if someone doesn’t want some feature, he will disable it.

What do you mean by that? You can obviously tweak the cocos2d-x engine that would be used by your project in cocos creator. Only difference would be, you would have to compile it again because cocos creator comes with pre-compiled framework. Everything is open source, you can always tweak and re-compile and ensure what you’re using!

So, obviously, spirit of cocos2d-x C++ way would be kept as far as I think.

I told to the same things. :smile: But you’re right, my english is a little bit
broken. Sorry for that.

I don’t want to use javascript and cocos. Because I’m working on cpp and cocos2d-x for a long time.(At least, long time for me) But cocos creator is really good solution for js developers.

Another problem, cocos team released CocosIDE and cancelled this project. I think, it’s not true act for developers. Now I readed, they want to cancelling Cocos Studio. I said, why? Yesterday CocosIDE, today Cocos Studio. It’s just like the chronic problem.

1 Like

Of course it does, but it can be encapsulated in such a way that it couldn’t be used outside of creator, that’s what I’m afraid of.

I think the main problem is that, many of us not only want to hack something with js (of course we could), but we love c++.
I like cocos2d-x very well, but it’s “only” a tool what i use, what have an acceptable content editor. For my (hopefully) long programming life i use dailly c++. It’s my job, it’s my hobby too. I will never choose js against c++.

2 Likes

Any plans to support Apple TV tvos?

I don’t think you have something to worry about .
Level editor is something that is always good to have , it is extendable and can be customize so what is the problem ?
In the road map i see there will be c++ support in the end,
And remember that we as c++ developers are minority as business wise solution to spreed the word and to be accessible To as many as possible they must work hard on the javascript side .
This is something very smart as company they are doing.

I made a game in it and it really helped me to fasten up the work. So, you can’t exactly say that they left the project. It’s just that they are not supporting further updates on it but whatever was released is complete in that and you can always use cocosIDE. Just that they didn’t have furture goals for it and so they never discussed roadmap. So, yes it’s not idle but not a big deal and as open source community progress, better approaches are given priority even at the cost of leaving some projects which won’t yield much to the the new vision!

Well, this is how open source communities evolve.

Ya, same as what I also agreed :slight_smile:

1 Like

So what will happen to Cocos Studio? Will it be maintained or discontinued?

Take a look on this thread

When will the April update arrive? the one with colliders and physics support?

@slackmoehrle
What is the future of 3d in cocos ? and cocos creator ?
Will it be supported ?

End of April or beginning of May

We already started working on it, hopefully you guys can see something this summer

Will have Cocos Creator a UI component like tableview or listview with Drag and drop to re-order items like this? Maybe a sortable grid layout?
Thanks

1 Like