Cocos Creator high number of draw calls with Canvas

Hello folks,
When building my game with Cocos Creator, targetting web-mobile, I get a high number of draw calls when I select Canvas as rendering mode, while on WebGL, this behavior do not exist.
For example, a simple project:

Shouldn’t it be draw with only 2 draw calls? (One for UI and the other for the blocks)
That’s the behavior when I select WebGL for rendering, but Canvas gives me one draw call per block.
Am I missing something?

Thanks already!

Canvas itself can’t batch multiple objects into a single draw call in the way that WebGL does. So in canvas you basicall get one ‘draw call’ for every node visible.
However Cocos Creator has buiilt-in dirty region optimization for Canvas, it may help if you have lots of static screen space

1 Like

Thanks for your help!
In my case, I have a isometric game where platforms keep scrolling down, and each platform is a node with two sprites inside of it.
I believe I cannot improve the number of draw calls then, since all the platforms visible on screen are moving each frame, is that correct?
Thanks!

You can try baking your level geometry into layers, if your game logic allows it, but I would rather ask myself do I need Canvas support that much, because it’s pretty awful for games today