Can't run my .exe apps

Hey guys, let me say 1st off, I’m a fairly new programmer. I’ve only been working with c++ for about a year, and I’ve just started dabbling in cocos2d-x this week.

I initially had troubles getting cocos2d-x to work with my visual studio express IDE, and when trying to start a project by opening the SLN file in the main branch of the cocos2d-x folder, the libraries and classes don’t want to compile. I worked around this by using the VCXPROJ files in the templates folder.

So I opened up the hellocpp project from the windows template directory and started messing around with the code so I can grasp the different libraries within cocos2d-x. While I have no problem building or debugging programs, when I run the .exe application in the release folder the application immediately crashes.

Why won’t my windows applications run?

My specs :

O/S : Windows 7 64bit - fresh install
CPU : AMD Phenom II x6 1055t
Mobo : Asus Crosshair IV
GPU : Nvidia gtx480
Drivers : All drivers are up to date.

Sounds like you are building the wrong place or your files aren’t all getting correctly copied to ‘Release’

1. “Don’t want to compile” Too vague, post the exact errors
  2. “immediately crashes” Too vague, what does the error say?
  3. “no problem building or debugging programs” — Under what Active Solution Configuration?

The more specific your questions are, the more likely you’ll get help. We’re all programmers here, so give us programmer details.

Cory Trese wrote:

Sounds like you are building the wrong place or your files aren’t all getting correctly copied to ‘Release’
>

1. “Don’t want to compile” Too vague, post the exact errors
  2. “immediately crashes” Too vague, what does the error say?
  3. “no problem building or debugging programs” — Under what Active Solution Configuration?
    >
    The more specific your questions are, the more likely you’ll get help. We’re all programmers here, so give us programmer details.
  1. If I open "cocos2d-win32.vc2012.sln as a project, then try to debug I get a message box that says the following : [Unable to start program ‘x:2d-2.1rc0-x-2.1.2\cocos2d-2.1rc0-x-2.1.2\Debus.win32\libchipmunk.lib’.]

2. HelloCpp.exe has stopped working. Will post details at the end of this post.

3. Any default win32 solution configuration (Both debug and release work under debugging).

I should also add that even before I started messing around in the codes, I couldn’t get the windows template executables to run.

Details on the HelloCpp.exe crash window.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: HelloCpp.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 5160d195
Fault Module Name: HelloCpp.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 5160d195
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00001b19
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
x:32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Edit : Also, the Debug executable doesn’t work for me either. I can debug the program fine through Visual Studio, but trying to run the executable outside of my development environment results in the same thing as #2.

Still have this problem… Can anyone help?

I’m having a similar problem, but instead of crashing, the exe opens as a black window. I’ll paste the question link here, so if a solution is found in my question you’ll be able to see it.

Good luck for us both!

copy all the assets from your resources folder and paste it in the directory the exe is in. that is all. It should work now.

1 Like

Thank you that was so simple. But if anyone read this, remember this if you can run your cocos 2d-x project in Visual studio, but when you go to the exe it will not work, you need to copy the files from the RESOURCES directory.

Is this has been fixed in cocos2d-x 3.4?

Seems pretty critical, especially when it happened to me and for numerous of other users.