Black screen on Samsung Galaxy S4

We have some games which developed last year using cocos2dx-0.13 version.
Recently, many users upgraded his phone to S4 and found that the app will show black screen on S4 when game loaded, music is still playing.

I am thinking the old framework not supported this brand new android phone. I know upgrade to latest cocos2d-2.1rc0-x-2.1.3 may solve the problem but it need lot of upgrade effort.
Is there any simple way to support S4 with minimal effort? For example, simple replace the java code part in cocos2dx framework. Or add a line to initialize something…

Thanks.

We’re about to release our first game, developed with cocos2dx-0.13, and this happens to us too. So far we’ve experienced it with Samsung Galaxy S4 and Asus Transformer Infinity. Could it be related to how OpenGL ES version is detected/handled?

We really need a fix for this issue. :frowning: Any help is appreciated!

Thank you

dirty polarbear wrote:

We have some games which developed last year using cocos2dx-0.13 version.
Recently, many users upgraded his phone to S4 and found that the app will show black screen on S4 when game loaded, music is still playing.
>
I am thinking the old framework not supported this brand new android phone. I know upgrade to latest cocos2d-2.1rc0-x-2.1.3 may solve the problem but it need lot of upgrade effort.
Is there any simple way to support S4 with minimal effort? For example, simple replace the java code part in cocos2dx framework. Or add a line to initialize something…
>
Thanks.

My prgram had simlar problem before.It can only show Ad but no game ui at some android4.0 phone.And I change AD view layout code ,it is solved ,but i donot know why.

We can see the ads in the free version of our app. We can also hear the music and even click in menu buttons (we hear a noise indicating that the button has been clicked). The only problem is that nothing in the GLSurfaceView is being rendered. As I said before, this only happens in some high end devices such as last year’s Asus Transformer Infinity and the Galaxy S4. :confused:

Maybe it’s the same problem discussed in this thread?
http://www.cocos2d-x.org/boards/6/topics/27903

I don’t think so, it’s not after pausing and resuming the app. It won’t show anything from the beginning, every time we start the app. I’ll look into the “textures too big” to see if that’s what’s causing the problem, but it shouldn’t be, as we are only loading a few sprites…

ron m wrote:

Maybe it’s the same problem discussed in this thread?
http://www.cocos2d-x.org/boards/6/topics/27903

not same.This bug is black screeen when the game begin to run,That bug is black screen when resume game.

Charles Whitmore wrote:

So far we’ve experienced it with Samsung Galaxy S4 and Asus Transformer Infinity. Could it be related to how OpenGL ES version is detected/handled?
>

I have Asus Pad Infinity (tegra3). But I don’t see any problem. My cocos2d-x application loads successfully on Pad Infinity. I built it with 2.1.3 (the prev version of cocos2d-x). Today I’ll try to test my device with 2.1.4.

hongquan ma wrote:

dirty polarbear wrote:
> We have some games which developed last year using cocos2dx-0.13 version.
> Recently, many users upgraded his phone to S4 and found that the app will show black screen on S4 when game loaded, music is still playing.
>
> I am thinking the old framework not supported this brand new android phone. I know upgrade to latest cocos2d-2.1rc0-x-2.1.3 may solve the problem but it need lot of upgrade effort.
> Is there any simple way to support S4 with minimal effort? For example, simple replace the java code part in cocos2dx framework. Or add a line to initialize something…
>
> Thanks.
>
My prgram had simlar problem before.It can only show Ad but no game ui at some android4.0 phone.And I change AD view layout code ,it is solved ,but i donot know why.

Finally, I just port all the code from 0.13 to 2.1.4. Take lot of time for porting and finally the problem solved.
By the way, can u share how AD view layout modify.

It’s an issue in cocos2d-x 0.13 :frowning:

Airex Rest wrote:

Charles Whitmore wrote:
> So far we’ve experienced it with Samsung Galaxy S4 and Asus Transformer Infinity. Could it be related to how OpenGL ES version is detected/handled?
>
>
I have Asus Pad Infinity (tegra3). But I don’t see any problem. My cocos2d-x application loads successfully on Pad Infinity. I built it with 2.1.3 (the prev version of cocos2d-x). Today I’ll try to test my device with 2.1.4.

I’ve managed to pin down this issue to 1920x1080 resolutions and above, but I’ve tried reducing the size of the textures with

CCTexture2D::setDefaultAlphaPixelFormat(kCCTexture2DPixelFormat_RGBA4444);

and also removing cached textures in android, but still nothing. :frowning:

Our game is already in the Play Store, but we’ve had to limit the download to devices with resolutions smaller than FullHD :frowning:

Charles Whitmore wrote:

I’ve managed to pin down this issue to 1920x1080 resolutions and above, but I’ve tried reducing the size of the textures with
>

Just wondering have you tried the HelloCPP sample?

I’m looking at my google analytics data for my game Arrow Mania and I seem to have 31 installs on S4’s with an average play time of over 2 mins. I’ve not seen or tried an S4 but this data suggests to me my app works. It’s written on “cocos2d-2.0-x-2.0.2”. Could you try it on your S4? Could be a clue. Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmtdev.arrowmania Oh and thats on a GT-I9500 model, I have two installs on a GT-I9505 model that don’t look good time wise (seconds).

The bug seems to be fixed in cocos2d-x 2.0 and above, but we developed ours in cocos2d-x 0.13. I’m looking for a quick way to fix it.
Eventually we’ll port it to cocos2d-x 2, but I’m the only one doing the update in my spare time, and it could take me some time.

By the way, in case you want to check it out:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.picarogames.spooklings_free&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5waWNhcm9nYW1lcy5zcG9va2xpbmdzX2ZyZWUiXQ

Charles Whitmore wrote:

The bug seems to be fixed in cocos2d-x 2.0 and above, but we developed ours in cocos2d-x 0.13.

Oh sorry, missed the bit about 0.13.

I’m looking for a quick way to fix it.
Eventually we’ll port it to cocos2d-x, but I’m the only one doing the update in my spare time, and it could take me some time.

Yeah I had to go from 0.13 to 2 a few months ago. You can do it One of my pet peeves updating to new versions of Cocos2d-x!

By the way, in case you want to check it out:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.picarogames.spooklings_free&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5waWNhcm9nYW1lcy5zcG9va2xpbmdzX2ZyZWUiXQ

Just did, cool game. Really well polished too.

I am having this same problem with Cocos2D-x 2.1.5. It only happens on devices which have xxhdpi screens. Does 2.1.5 not support this density? If not does v3 Alpha support this density?

Lochlann,

2.1.5 supports xxhdpi, we had no such issues on Samsung S4 - game based on 2.1.4 works OK.

I also have the black screen problem in my android live wallpaper implementation. I’m using cocos2d-x 2.2. Here is what I have wrote in another topic … http://cocos2d-x.org/forums/6/topics/30639?r=38743#message-38743
Can someone help me?

I’m having the same problem with a Samsung Galaxy S2. application runs fine on less powerful devices, but on this one the app starts with no sprites (black screen)