Anyone else using Cocos2d-x for Windows?

Hi, I just wanted to make a quick shout-out to anyone else who’s using Cocos2d-x to make a Windows game? I don’t know if there’s many of us about, so if you are, please say a quick hello so that I feel less alone :smile: I’m also wondering why people chose this framework over others such as Unity? I did purely because I learned Cocos2d while working on iPhone.

@kingchimp
I use all the 3 platforms (android iOS and windows) for cocos2dx but I only have 8 months experience

Ah cool, I’ve got to admit that the cross-platform capabilities are part of what attracted me. However, I’m finding the sound support a bit weak (CocosDenshion), and there’s some weird performance issues here and there. I’m gonna persevere anyway, hopefully I won’t be compelled to try Unity…

@kingchimp
I have already created a post regarding sounds in wp8 in the morning

Yet whenever there is a cross platform functionality, It comes with lot of problems. I really don’t know whether unity top the charts or cocos2dx, but many people prefer unity. Yet cocos2dx is growing slowly. i am eagerly waiting for an cocosbuilder IDE for c++. It has come for LUA and JS, but still not available for cpp.

@kingchimp
We are implementing new audio, and it will openal on windows too.
What performance issues you met?

@zhangxm
In my case the issue is regarding the size. Suppose if there is a background music in the app of around 2 minutes or 3 minutes, it has a size of around 2 or 3 mb in mp3 normally, but if this is converted to wav the size increases to 5, 6 mb or even more.(just double of mp3). Secondly the windows phone having a ram of 512 MB sometimes crash the app, and if I don’t play the sound of heavy size then everything goes well ?

Thanks for the replies everyone!

@zhangxm see my post here regarding fonts from file:

Also, I’m using the in-built physics engine and am finding that when there are around 15-20 bodies all close together, the frame-rate drops periodically to about 15fps from a steady 60fps. Not sure exactly how to reproduce it for you without sending you the entire project?!

Thanks for your work on Cocos2d-x, I’m enjoying using it :smile:

@kingchimp @zhangxm
exactly the same problem I faced in which I was creating bodies of small 100 balls, frame rate dropped to 10 to 15 fps. The same thing worked great in Iphone and android. I think this issue came when cocos 2.x version arrived. I read it somewhere that In order to solve this just revert back to cocos2dx 1.x version, but this is not a proper solution.
Currently I am using a Arial.ttf font and I can show you the performance of how it looks. I added a CCLabelTTF font.

You can see how it looks