Progress of graphics backend integration

is mac version working fine with metal support and how much performance improvement I can expect from it?

We haven’t focused performance currently. As simple testing, currently, there is not performance improvement, just the same as before. After uniform setting modification, i think it will have about 10% performance improvement. We will focus on performance improvement after finishing metal integration.

2 Likes

Because of the delay of refactor uniform setting, we could not release alpha0 version last week. Sorry about that. We will try to release it in this week.

1 Like

Alpha0 version is released. I created a new topic for it.

‘deprecated/CCArray.h’ file not found Error

@zhangxm
Thanks for the hard work , just to be clear currently beside the alpha version which supports metal
if i develop game with the latest cocos2dx build it not going to work on the latest ios devices ?

Could you please show me how to reproduce it? Because we tested on mac/iphone/android/windows,but didn’t meet the error.

Yep, just this alpha0 version supports metal. It is in alpha0 version, so i don’t suggest you using it in commercial projects. You can just download and play with it to report bugs or ask needed features. Thanks.

metal-support-alpha0.zip file download and try to run project but its throw error

Sorry, currently, only cpp-empty-test and cpp-tests works, so you can not build all tests.

cpp-tests and cpp-empty-test also not working

refer to https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/31120

You can’t run metal on iOS simulator, so after you select a iOS Device, above error will gone.

2 Likes

LOL, really…?!!

Yep, metal doesn’t support simulator.

Why does cpp-empty-test don’t have xcode project and how can I create proper proj to test my api with new metal backend?
upd. never mind. make proj by myself but maybe some instructions will be handy
upd2:

new draw node works differently - dose it use different shader?
this screenshot from os x with new backend draw node:
previously it was smooth :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

What repo did you use? Now backend is integrated into cocos2d-x in metal-support branch.