Metal support alpha1 released

@coulsonwang Yes, I did this, and can confirm that location is not 0xffffffff when I call setTexture(…). The issue is under ‘red line’ on the picture.
‘info.location’ field is not copying to the textureInfo[location].location.

@solan about setting size of point, issue had created in 19763

1 Like

@solan You are right, I forgot to copy the location value in the move constructor and this issue was fixed in 19764

1 Like

@solan You can draw a point by calling void DrawNode::drawPoint(const Vec2& position, const float pointSize, const Color4F &color) where the second parameter indicates the size of the point.
As for setting line width, there is no way to control line width in the same way as a point size in Metal. I have created an issue for it.

@coulsonwang It is good about line. But all these are usefull for points and lines in 2d space.
There is convenient class DrawNode3D in the cpp-tests, but it supports only drawLine(…) and drawCube(…).
Are not you going to include it to the engine (with point support :slight_smile: ) ?

@solan DrawNode3D is serves as a role of drawing lines or OOB for some 3D test cases, such as Sprite3D test. It’s not included in the engine.

@coulsonwang Check please one thing about mipmaps on opengl. It seems that there is needed texture binding like

glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE0);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D,_textureInfo.texture);

inside
Texture2DGL::generateMipmaps()

@solan Yes, It needs to bind the existing texture object. This issue had fixed in 19786

@zhangxm is there anything that I can do to help test the beta?

@slackmoehrle sure, and there is already an issue : https://github.com/cocos2d/cocos2d-x/issues/19314.

Btw GREAT NEWS ~> Xcode 11 simulators can run metal. And as advertised, pretty fast! :slight_smile:

I hope my very old macbook air can run Catalina and Xcode 11 :slight_smile:

Any news on OpenGL? still deprecated or removed?

1 Like

I haven’t tried anything yet. Still waiting for downloads.

I am at wwdc. No mention that is removed so i guess still in deprecation status. Any cocos devs here?

1 Like

@kerryk yep, good news, without supporting metal on simulator, i don’t know how to build it in CI.

Its confirmed that openGl will remain in ios13 and macos catalina. However, the presenter stated that “now is the time to move to metal” which i guess strong signals that most probably next year is possible that is removed. Relevant info can be found on “Bringing openGl apps to metal” video of wwdc 2019 as soon as it becomes available.

1 Like

While it may run poorly … I believe every Mac that can run Mojave can also run Catalina (except possibly Mac Pro 2010/2012 - though those might be able to hack it with Metal-capable gpu).

As we’re on wwdc topic… Does Mac OS Catalina support 32bit apps?

Notably, macOS Catalina does away with 32-bit app support

from Hands-On With macOS Catalina