Application Returns 0xc000007b on launch by a user, see post for details

I’ve never used event viewer before, so it’ll take me some time to figure out exactly whats going on. all assets are included properly in the resources folder.
As for permission issues, my friend tried running it as administrator and got the same error.

I am unsure on how to do this,could you tell me how?

To be very honest, if you can’t help yourself with this simple task, it’s going to be hard to help you further with your problem.

So from my understanding, I’m supposed to run the program on his computer and then see if an error comes up in the application section. Am I right? Because if so, no errors are coming up when they run it, just a warning that says
“Profile notification of event Load for component {B31118B2-1F49-48E5-B6F5-BC21CAEC56FB} failed, error code is See Tracelogging for error details.”
Am I looking in the wrong place?

thanks for the very helpful information, I have successfully made the installer with the tremendous help of the links you provided. i’ll try it out on my friends computer.

I’m still a bit puzzled about the event viewer but i’m leaving it for the night. apologies for my ignorance about it, again i had never heard of it until it was mentioned

1 Like

It’s a little surprising that you’re developing an app (not an easy thing to do), but you’re not aware of the tools provided by the environment you’re using (especially the Event Viewer), so take some time and go through it.

Anything that happens in Windows is logged, and those logs are presented to you in the event viewer. Simply open it up and navigate to the Windows Logs > Application section. The information there can be helpful in tracking down the source of issues. Also, it may be beneficial for you to check the other sections in the event viewer too.

@Promethaes there isn’t a shortcut for becoming a good developer. You must roll up your sleeves and get dirty. I’m not talking dirty like you touched a bug. I’m talking dirty like you jumped in head first to a sink hole because you couldn’t not go all in. Learn your tools, use them, take care of them. They are the only way you can take your ideas and make the computer understand them. We may write in c++ but without our tools taking what we have done and making the computer understand we have done nothing really. So of course we need tools to help us do the reverse and take what the computer tells us and makes it readable to humans. It is really a give and take relationship. Give it garbage, get garbage…

Let me ask you this and be honest. Simply, could you write a calculator on your own? Make the GUI and the underlying logic to solve even the most basic math problems? Its harder than you think and a lesson in humility. https://github.com/microsoft/calculator

1 Like

Um, I’m a little confused, is that question directed at me or the OP? :smiley: Off-topic: The day they made the Windows Calculator source available is the day it got an bookmark from me. It’s such a great project to learn from.

no, OP. I was using your post as a jumping off point. I’ll edit for clarity

Listen bud, I didn’t ask you for a “life lesson”, and I have absolutely nothing to prove to you. I asked you for help. You’ve chosen to be aggressive about it for whatever reason.

There is absolutely no reason why I should have to do anything for you. That is not what this post is about. I’m sorry that you had a bad day, or that you’ve just decided that you’re better than me. I have created multiple games before, and I was planning on releasing one in your engine, but I think I might just be done with everything to do with it. Its not my fault that it was poorly designed. Its not my fault that I didn’t know about the event viewer.

I came here for help because I didn’t know what to do. And you expect me to know what to do?

I know you won’t approve this post, but I do know you will see it anyways. Its really no wonder that this site and cocos as a whole is dead.

My apologies if you feel my tone isn’t what you were expecting. Not my intention.

You asked several questions about some very basic concepts that a developer of any type of application would know. I guess it is confusing. The purpose of my last post is because of that confusion. You came off that you didn’t know the tools and don’t understand deployment. I’m not the only one that finds your questions odd but saying you are a seasoned developer who has released many games. Your whole thread was really completely off topic or not related to Cocos really. However, we tried to answer it despite you not understanding almost every step.

I tried to provide sensible advice on getting to know your tools and it seemed that you needed more understanding of programming. If you disagree, I’d be happy not to answer your posts in the future.

Lastly, if you feel Cocos is dead, why are you using it? You just created your account in May and to browse the site you don’t need to even create an account. You obviously had a reason for creating an account. It wasn’t to use a dying project.

Your response is completely inappropriate, and the only thing “aggressive” is the way you’re behaving. For everything mentioned that you didn’t know about, you could have simply said “No worries, I’ll look it”, but instead you wanted others to use their own time finding solutions for you. You’ve had every opportunity to look into this issue yourself, and to learn things that you clearly didn’t already know.

Well, it’s no-one else’s fault. How about you own up to it rather than giving such a self-serving response. Take ownership of your lack of knowledge and skills, and don’t blame others for it.

That’s nice to know, but not in any way relevant, and just comes across as a very arrogant and defensive response.

None of your issues have anything to do with Cocos, and yet you’ve come out guns blazing blaming the tools; the nail won’t quite go in, so let’s blame the hammer. What a terrible attitude to have.

It’s toxic attitudes like what you have displayed that turn people away from providing help and guidance.

1 Like

@R101
I think @slackmoehrle already replied in politest way and I don’t see any point you pitch in to defend and net picking.
It is like creating a hostile environment here and its not good for new users. This is community and users should feel free to ask questions. Some time user may ask questions which may not sound directly related to cocos. If someone asking question here, it does not mean he is forcing someone to finding answer for him, its our choice we can answer or ignore the questions.
We should not criticize for asking questions rather we can ignore the question if question does not appeal to us.

I request everyone, lets create a positive environment here and refrain writing anything which may offend users or something that may discourage asking questions. Please feel free to discuss if I sound inappropriate or wrong to anyone.

I feel that you’ve missed the point. Users ask questions, and more often than not, they get answers that are more than adequate in order to help them help themselves. The issue here is that some users seem like they don’t want to even put any effort into resolving an issue, and are just looking for someone else to give them that quick fix.

It is extremely time consuming as it is, and while no one is forcing another person to reply, or to help, you make it sound so simple as to just “ignore” the questions. In order to figure out if you do want to ignore a question, you first have to invest time in reading it, thinking about it, and then deciding whether or not to answer. That is time you just wasted, and time isn’t free.

Questions pop up on every forum, not just this, from users who simply have not even bothered to do an online search for their specific issue, instead they instantly jump onto the forum and go “I have problem X, give me solution Y”. How is that in any way reasonable? Those new threads about issues that could have easily been resolved with a simple Google search have another adverse affect, which is pushing other threads further down the list. It’s almost the same as forum spam.

Worse still, some users react negatively when they get an answer that doesn’t suit them, usually one that involves them having to do some work. If they can’t handle that and some justified criticism, then you just have to wonder how they survive in the real world.

Which we feel is adequate may not be adequate to OP.

I understood your point and its fair enough. I believe being a member of any community we may face this situation and I don’t know right way to tackle such situation and at the same time I feel criticism is also not a solution.

it sounds like judgmental to me.

@R101, I used this and added it to our FAQ and our install doc for now.

Perhaps we can find some time to add this to the Windows install doc in more depth too.

1 Like

That’s a good idea, and may perhaps help with reducing the questions regarding the missing Microsoft run-time DLL files.

As for the installation section, I hope it doesn’t create more work for yourself and others maintaining Cocos2d-x, since it does fall outside the scope of Cocos2d-x related topics. Perhaps a remark can be made along those lines, that in the end it’s the user’s decision in choosing what technology they want to use to package their Windows build, and it’s not something directly related to Cocos2d-x.

Aside from that, topics like the application crash described in this thread can’t really covered in the documentation, since as we’ve established, that is more related to limited knowledge of the OS and the development tools, which falls on the developer to resolve, and not the Cocos2d-x team.

Good idea. Done.