Would you like to see paid support?

I think it is best per project.
It could be US$ 100 - US$ 500 per project.
Or cocos2d-x team can ask royalty share from project owner.
From 10% to 35%, depend on how much contribution cocos2d-x team give in project!
Well, it’s all up to cocos2d-x team to decide.

Royalty share bad idea )
Like you got 1 million $ and should pay 100k for fixing some issue for you?:slight_smile:

Isn’t the forum for letting people get support from people all around the world?
So why should we pay…I do not get it

uhm…
What I meant was not only fixing some issue…
But all programming problem in all platform!
Whether it is memory leak, how to implement that feature in iOS, anything.
Everything related to cocos2d-x.
You mention it!

I am not too greedy about royalty share.
But to me 10% is the maximum I can share if one day cocos2d-x team decide to help in my game.
I have other team members who have also royalty shares.
I want to make a lot of game.
My only problems are programmers.
I need them.

The memory leak is one issue I really need cocos2d-x team to fix.
Once for all.
For eternity.

Well, I don’t like the idea of royalties at all.

Imagine Adobe would take royalties for every asset you created with PhotoShop, just because they fixed something in PS.

They did not create the asset, but the designer did.
The same could be said about an engine. The engine is just a tool, which is used to implement a game, but it does not create the game.
An engine is also different to a service like IAP or ads. These things are providing additional benefits for your game and throughout the lifetime of your game. On the contrary, an engine is just an one-time investment.

So your suggestion is similar to what Epic, Crytek, Unity and all the major players are doing right now: They take a monthly fee and x% royalties after making x money after x months.

If there is paid support, it would vote for a fixed amount. Basically the same stuff you get with a SLA contract or by buying an engine.

Well, some Devs/Studios might want to pay to get dedicated support. With our current model, yes, we rely on the community. This is the best model as far as I am concerned.

This topic comes about due to this: How to get help

Professional services are well known source of income to OpenSource and not OpenSource projects in bigger industries Like in the Telecom industry .
There is no problem with this .
But revenue share is bad idea . and i think you should avoid it .

I think you are Aiming in the wrong direction with the engine .
take the Unity3d business model .

1. Build good 2d/3d editor , ( lite and pro versions )
  2. Make good assent store take 30% from creators ,
  3. Pay license for pro editor if game revenue is above XX$$
  4. Create Ad network ( this is where the real money!! )

Want to play a guessing game? If I told you that at least 1 of these items was being worked on…lol.

If you actually want to pay for some support, contact me and lets talk about models and how it would work. Please.

Current support is rely on community, but there are plenty of post not get answered or reply in the forum.

The chance we get help to solve the engine issues ( bugs from the engine) or to implement new features from Cocos Team is even less, post at forum or report at GitHub would not get response most of the time.

We have to search here and there but end up with no result for urgent problems.
So if there is paid support which can help to solve the problems is good.

I can see the SDKBOX support on forum are very good and would like to see the same for Cocos engine.

However, what would happen to the “free” support after paid support implemented?
Does it mean the chance we get help from Cocos team is zero as they busy on the paid support, or can’t response to us as not fair to the paid support user?

No, nothing changes, currently. There will always be free support. This is an ask of the community with what they would want with paid support.

@slackmoehrle

Thanks for the info.

The community ask for paid support because there is not much fast and free support on forum besides SDKBOX issues.

@slackmoehrle
No,I actually i don’t want to play any game , i try to help here and im very serious.
As i see it now you cocos guys in the last year struggling to find
Fair and good business models to monetize the engine ,
Also i see you are spreading in different directions you took great top notch cross platform 2d engine and somehow you Made things complicate and unexpected for example critical bugs not fixed wired half baked features are developed .tools canceled.the performance get worst .
Now from small indie developers point of view that used to relay on this engine it is bad .
i still try to convince developers to use cocos but it gets harder and harder .

@Zinitter
I can tell you from my experience from Open Source engines from different disciplines like :
ZeroMQ , ACE , TOW , Mongodb and many more …
That Professional services model is very good model to keep the open source project alive .
Nothing is going to be broken here . the open source community will continue to be supportive if they will feel the engine is growing with them and get improved .

It’s 1. :smile:

are you holding there or would you like another card?

1 of a kind is worthless.

Ad network:D

I will stick to it. There were a lot of postings, that cocos2d-x is in need of a good editor and that it will be taken care of.

If you don’t have an editor, point 3 would be pointless.
Asset store? Well, that does not seem to fit your company and there are tons of asset stores already.
Ad network? The ad business is already very crowded.

Point 1 seemed to be the easiest to pull of.

I want to throw in point 5: The cocos cloud will be released soon :smile:

So you fold…

No, I raise. I just don’t take another card as I already have a flush.

1 Like

Ok, so whom we should contact for Paid support?