Sprite3D zOrder breaks when opacity is <255

I’m trying to place a Sprite3D above a 2D sprites. This works if I set global zOrder of Sprite3D to be larger than the 2D, but once I set the opacity of the Sprite3D (<255) the zOrder breaks which results in Sprite3D to be always ordered under the 2D sprite. In fact the only way to then get 2D sprite under it is to set the 2D sprite’s global zOrder to negative. And it gets worse, because once 2D zOrder is negative the 3D is ALWAYS above the 2D no matter what zOrder I set for either 2D or 3D sprite. Is this intended or broken?

I noticed this problem while trying to do a fade out on the Sprite3D and the sprite “disappears” right when fadeout starts.

Another problems is attachments on 3D sprite does not obey cascade opacity setting.

Anyone have any experience with this? thanks

It’s based on the rendering order where transparent objects are in a different group than opaque ones.

It’s probably best to use Billboard or a simple quad mesh as a Sprite3D for any “sprite-like” nodes that you want to render alongside the Sprite3D models. The renderer isn’t really setup well (by default) to mix 2D and 3D sprites together.

Thanks stevetranby

I tried using billboards but is running into more problems such as rotation and flip either doesn’t work or causes the sprite to disappear. But the order problem is manageable using Billboards.

For billboards, rotation and flip doesn’t work at all. I can add a sprite to the billboard and rotate the sprite but flip causes the sprite to disappear.

I made another post here you might be able to help out