Proposal for v3.x: Improved sound system

Its been 2 years already… and seems still no updates for SimpleAudioEngine. It’s frustrating to accept the fact that this Engine doesn’t implement setBackgroundMusicVolume() and setEffectsVolume(). These two methods has EMPTY method bodies, in other words no implementations! Also getBackgroundMusicVolume() and getEffectsVolume() only returns integer 1. Is this some kind of a joke or what? -_-

Are you talking about implementing those on Windows? I can help you – there are some other threads on here that work through what is required to replace MCIPlayer so you can control volume … or if you MUST use MCIPlayer for some reason, there are some hacks that get volume working on some machines.

@corytrese I’m building the game via Visual Studio 2013. So yes, I’m talking about windows, BUT after building the project via MSVS2013, I go to cocos console (CMD) and build the project on Android’s platform to produce the apk file. I use MSVS and not Eclipse because I am more comfortable using it than Eclipse, and therefore I’m not using any emulators. Windows can run the game directly. The question is: Will it be still working on android after implementing the methods on windows? And that MCIPlayer thing? (Sorry I’m not familiar with MCIPlayer).

Each sound system implements the interface, and is separate from the other platforms.

Most likely the only one that is missing implementations for volume is Win32.

I cannot exactly recall, but I believe that Android, iOS and Mac OS X all ship with working volume implementations.

How can I see the actual source code implementation for android then? Because all I see is win32’s implementations inside the cocos2d-x library…