Need help getting started with Cocos2d-x to build for iOS & android

I have Eclipse LUNA, with El Capitan

So you just throwing me links without trying to check this by yourself? I should test it?

Prerequisites
Eclipse ADT Bundle Download Android Studio and SDK tools  |  Android Developers

This link now goes to

No, I meant check as in take a look at the doc and see if there are any steps in it that need to be performed.

I updated the link to Eclipse, it will go out in the next deployment of docs.

Thats not actually helps me to get started. In another about compiling libs thread you can check how it goes.

When cocos2d docs, get started guide will be updated, fixed and fit to latest updates?

I test these docs every few releases and our engineering team provides input on these steps.

I’ll test these docs again, one by one to see if anything goes wrong for me. I will do it in clean virtual machines to ensure there are no dependencies lingering around.

While you are having difficulties, I can see and you have found a few holes for items in the cocos doc and the link in the Eclipse install doc. These docs are not completely wrong. Your tone in these threads is that of “Cocos2d-x is completely lacking in docs”. This is untrue. We acknowledge that our docs may need to be written at a level that is more focused towards inexperienced developers. This is something we will work on as we edit and review docs for accuracy. Example: When I test the install docs I will make the steps more detailed so those that are new can read in greater detail. Those that are experienced will skim it quicker.

So why when I started 3 days ago and tried to install and compile a simple initial project - I got a tons of problems and still getting them this Prebuilt generation not working in 3.13.1 and 3.11.1?

Also, after all this problems will be fixd(i hope) i would like to ask(like I did in another thread, but there it’s an off-topic) so I will repost it here:

I’m not experiencing what you are and I’m not receiving reports that others are either. That being said, I will test each install doc in a new VM and see what is going on.

Android Studio should work. I think most of our users use a text editor and the command-line on Mac.

SDKBOX.com

Use logcat to debug on Android

Thats need more info and examples and tutorials. Also how to code something like game center or call specific android functions and I probably I should mix java and c++? I have any ideas how it works on android and so thats why I need info. For iOS all clear to my because I’m using Objective C++ and mix any calls there and use any specific to iOS technologies like iCloud or GameCenter.

Android Studio support is new for us and my understanding is that each Android Studio release is changing drastically but also adding functionality for debugging c++, etc. I don’t know about mixing Java and C++ really, but maybe @IQD @pococogames can also help with this.

If you want to have a hard time, go for it. If you can use C++/REST implementations for your feature it will make your life so much easier.

If you really have to mix Java with C++, I suggest using/reading into djinni. A tool for generating cross-language type declarations and interface bindings made by the dropbox developers.

Sorry, but i don’t understand you. Every people sucks with computers. Me too. Do you think it’s possible to solve everything in a fucking easy way? Or everything works correctly? NO! If you can’t figure it out, or can’t find any solution try again until it works. If you don’t like it, choose another hobby.

I don’t know if I should mix or not. I just asking for what I need to do next while developing game specifically for android.

The thing is: we don’t teach people how to develop games. We provide a game engine for you to exploit how you see fit. There isn’t a right or wrong way (within reason).

https://developer.android.com/develop/index.html

There are many books about the concepts for developing games. I can recommend a number of them if you really want some specific titles. Packt Publishing also has titles, some of which are written by developers on these very forums.

When I started a few years ago, I struggled like you did. I didn’t have anyone to teach me either. I had to dive in and get my feet wet (and then once they were wet I decided instead to bang my head against the wall :slight_smile: ). Start small. Create a sprite, put it on the screen, move it around, add touch events, etc.

cpp-tests has plenty of code. Use it. Every aspect of the engine is covered here.

I’m not asking about that. You understand me wrong. I just need a simple examples of next simple steps. I know how to develop games, but using cocos2d-spritebuilder.

Sorry, what steps exactly then? If they are Cocos2d-x specific steps we can help. If they are general tools related (Android Studio) or concept related we might not be the best resource. Google will have better docs about their products than we will.

You generate the project files for Eclipse and Android Studio with the cocos console tool. The cocos console tool has an integrated help system, which you can get to by calling cocos -h.

There is no need to use any of the IDEs. That’s completely your choice. cocos console is just using the build-system from the specific IDE. E.g. gradle when using AS.

Developing for Android is not any different to developing for iOS or Desktop. You are just implementing your game in C++, which is then compiled to the specific platform with cocos compile.

I’m using Cocos2d-x for about 4 years and I was never be able to develop for android.

I tried using Eclipse + Adt bundle years ago, using version 2 of Cocos2d-x and I got running on a simulator.

After a few years, I wanted to do that way but I can’t find the same sources, then I tried with Android Studio without luck.

I’m finishing my iOS game and I would love to port it to Android.

I have seen in the forum that we can use Visual Studio to work for Android, but my problem is I’m using cocos2d-x 3.6 and I have a lot of animations made in CocoStudio.

How do you do @slackmoehrle to develop for Android? I have both Windows and MacOS and an Android device.

Why you want to use java codes in the C++ project? You already use NDK to build c++ project to android platform. I developed an android game with cocos2d-x and I never use java until today.

If you want to use network/social plugins, you need to use SDKBOX. Help documents is here;
http://docs.sdkbox.com/en/

if you still want to use java in the c++ project, your answer isn’t here. You may search “How to use java in c++ project, ndk, android…etc” terms in google.

Just my 2c regarding the answers from @pococogames

As I understand, he wants to use some platform specific features.

Well, I already answered that question.

This is an option, not a requirement.

Use a cross-platform language like Swift or Haxe instead.