IOS and openGL?

Since IOS has deprecated support for openGL, and cocos2d-x still uses openGL, is cocos2d-x an optimal framework for IOS-targeted game development?

Please see the topic about metal.

Well are you referring to Graphics backend for opengl and metal and Progress of new backend API? The answer must be no then, cocos2d-x is currently not optimal for IOS-targeted game development.

At least you may use moltengl, while metal backend in develop. Moltengl works quite well.

What do you mean? We have targeted iOS since our inception. OpenGL is being deprecated. It isn’t yet. It is still available on all iOS devices. Metal will be integrated before OpenGL is actually removed.

You have been a developer in this community for a long while. How can you think we don’t target iOS and wont continue to do so?

1 Like

I am certain that you will continue to support IOS and thus integrate Metal fully at some point. I was just thinking about the framework’s current state and the already released IOS 12. Anyway, I shouldn’t worry :slight_smile:

What you wrote implies we aren’t optimal for development and we sure are. Nothing has actually changed yet. OpenGL is still there and supported.

1 Like

I use cocos2dx v3.17 and the binary is running perfect on my iPhone XS (iOS 12.1 beta). So I see no show stopper for using cocos2dx and iOS.

Meh, this thing again. No hope, it is going to pop over and over. This Apple-made mess is terrorizing people…
This reminds me I have still to test the new backend on Ios…

1 Like