Feedbacks of v3.0-beta

Gabriel Kevers wrote:

Hello,
We develop a new project and I would like a clear reponce.
Which version do you advise v2.x or v3.x? :;qst

Gabriel, we are in the beginning of new project too. I decided to use v3.0 bacause:

1. I believe they will clean up it up to production before our project finish.
    That is confirmed by speed they fixed the bug I posted recently.
  2. I believe I can fix most of the bugs I will encounter by myself. So it keeps me safe a bit
  3. I am sure work they have made and will made with render will improve the prefomance greatly (hey, boyz, comlpete your’s todos in da render cpps :)). That will help us give players better experience.
  4. I was able to run test projects on my iPad and Windows pretty fast. Yes, there are some issues with platform tools in VS2013, but it is not a disaster.
    5) It uses C++ - in theory the best adequate tool to drive the fps to the sky. it is not v2 vs v3 option :frowning:

Hi,

I tried to launch samples/Cpp/HelloCpp with Cocos2d-x 3.0beta2 on Android 4.3, Galaxy Nexus, using Android NDK r9c. I got a lot of assert message from CCQuadCommand, the new renderer.

D/cocos2d-x debug info( 4817): Assert failed: ShaderID is greater than 2^10
E/cocos2d-x assert( 4817): /private/tmp/cocos2d-x-3.0beta2/build/../cocos/2d/renderer/CCQuadCommand.cpp function:generateMaterialID line:64
D/cocos2d-x debug info( 4817): Assert failed: TextureID is greater than 2^18
E/cocos2d-x assert( 4817): /private/tmp/cocos2d-x-3.0beta2/build/../cocos/2d/renderer/CCQuadCommand.cpp function:generateMaterialID line:66

HelloCpp works find on iPhone 4.

Kazuki: Thanks for the bug report.

but report: http://www.cocos2d-x.org/issues/3874

Second day I experience strange issues with iOs build in xcode.
I put project in svn. it works ok. Checkout it on other Mac and … can’t build.
I can create new project, copy my sources and resources into it, attach sources to a new project in xcode and it will build smoothly. But if I comit/update on other PC - once again I have the issue:
libcurl.a - it is show red. Path mentioned in configuration is incorrect, that file is in another directory. Also

another how-to fix it is to simply delete folder cocs2d and replace its content with SDK folder (not created by create project tool, but simply copy the content of framework sdk)
At this case I see libcurl.a in red too, but project builds smoothly.

I am almost noob with Xcode, please, advice, what can I do? Don’t put cocos in svn and have copy of it on each development Mac?

This solved the same error for me:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3692352/adding-multiple-resources-with-the-same-name-to-xcode-for-iphone

You have to add the resources folder’s subfolders by reference.

Dung Ta Van wrote:

in cocos2d-x-3.0beta, i tried TestCpp project, and i couldn’t load config-example.plist, i debugged and i saw FileUtils couldn’t get absolute path of file

and when i try build project and see this bug

CopyPlistFile /Users/apple/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/TestCppV31-dgmjuykrcbrdorcnmqogxqblbsmq/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/TestCppV31 iOS.app/qipao01.plist /Volumes/Working/Workspace/Study-Cocos2dx/TestCppV31/Resources/scenetest/BackgroundComponentTest/Particles/qipao01.plist
cd /Volumes/Working/Workspace/Study-Cocos2dx/TestCppV31/proj.ios_mac
setenv PATH “/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/usr/bin:/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin”
builtin-copyPlist --convert binary1 --outdir /Users/apple/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/TestCppV31-dgmjuykrcbrdorcnmqogxqblbsmq/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/TestCppV31 iOS.app – /Volumes/Working/Workspace/Study-Cocos2dx/TestCppV31/Resources/scenetest/BackgroundComponentTest/Particles/qipao01.plist

error: failed to remove /Users/apple/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/TestCppV31-dgmjuykrcbrdorcnmqogxqblbsmq/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/TestCppV31 iOS.app/qipao01.plist: “qipao01.plist” couldn’t be removed.

Im confused here , i know you are doing great job there with cocos2d-x but all the questions that are bean asked here , supposed to be in the main c++ forum .
so user like me could check them and maybe to answer or learn from answers from the more experienced cocos2d developers or from the creators .
my main issue is the luck of forum support ( see my questions rarely answered )
for the fast changing framework .
also please update the documentations and add more info about the new version 3 it is very important
the engine it self is great ! but its not easy to do trial and error each time .

Meir Yanovich wrote:

my main issue is the luck of forum support ( see my questions rarely answered )

Forum stop sending e-mails with notifications ;/

@Dawid Drozd
Yep, we disable sending email because some developers treated it as junk mail.

@Meir Yanovich
We are on holiday for Chinese New Year these days. We will come back at Feb 7. I am sorry about that.

Hi All,

You are appreciated to send feedback in this thread. But i think it is not a good idea to put everything other than feedback of v3.0 here. Because it will make this thread too complex. It is better to create a new thread for issues.

What’s your opinion?

@Minggo Zhang no problem , i know its hard to work on such engine .
but please try to put more focus on updated documentation.

Minggo Zhang wrote:

@Dawid Drozd
Yep, we disable sending email because some developers treated it as junk mail.

Thats sad because i use it. Now i must find some RSS to e-mail service.

looks like support for spritebuilder is outdated. During loading I got cbbi of version 6. and maxsupported is v5.

Any thoughts when there will be support for version 6?

PS: are there any workarounds like linking Objective-C library tp load it?

@Meir: you are right. we need much better documentation. The good news is that we are working on it.

@Dawid: ouch. Probably we need to re-enable the emails. @Minggo, what’s the problem is people treat it as spam ?

@Oleksiy: correct. cocos2d-x only supports version 5. Most probably cocos2d-x won’t support v6, unless someone contribute the patches for it.

From alpha1 to beta/beta2, each CCLog has extra newline in output (win32)
i.e, original output

abc
def
ghi

changed to

abc

def

ghi

@winipcfg exe
please open bug
yeah its very annoying line break in the logs print

@winipcfg @meir
right now, I do not have a windows machine to test it but I think I fixed it:
https://github.com/cocos2d/cocos2d-x/pull/5290

could you confirm that it is working ok ? thanks.

It looks like there is a problem with the RenderTexture class. I couldn’t manage to draw the nodes on it by calling visit() methods of the nodes.

bool HelloWorld::init()
{

if ( !Layer::init() )  return false;

Size visibleSize = Director::getInstance()->getVisibleSize();
    Point origin = Director::getInstance()->getVisibleOrigin();

auto label = LabelTTF::create("Hello World", "Arial", 24);
    label->setPosition(Point(origin.x + visibleSize.width/2,
                             origin.y + visibleSize.height - label->getContentSize().height));
    this->addChild(label, 1);

auto sprite = Sprite::create("HelloWorld.png");
    sprite->setPosition(Point(visibleSize.width/2 + origin.x, visibleSize.height/2 + origin.y));
    this->addChild(sprite, 0);

RenderTexture *rendTex = RenderTexture::create(visibleSize.width, visibleSize.height );

rendTex->beginWithClear(0.3f, 0.56f, 1.0f, 1.0f);

label->visit();
    sprite->visit();
    rendTex->end();

rendTex->saveToFile("test.jpg", Image::Format::JPG);

CCLOG("Saved to %s", FileUtils::getInstance()->getWritablePath().c_str() );

return true;
}

This code outputs an image with the label and the sprite drawn on it on 3.0alpha0.
But it gives a full black image on 3.0-beta and 3.0-beta2

Yes, I did
my environment is X code Version 5.0.2 (5A3005)
Minggo Zhang wrote:

Dung Ta Van wrote:

in cocos2d-x-3.0beta, i tried TestCpp project, and i couldn’t load config-example.plist, i debugged and i saw FileUtils couldn’t get absolute path of file

and when i try build project and see this bug

CopyPlistFile /Users/apple/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/TestCppV31-dgmjuykrcbrdorcnmqogxqblbsmq/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/TestCppV31 iOS.app/qipao01.plist /Volumes/Working/Workspace/Study-Cocos2dx/TestCppV31/Resources/scenetest/BackgroundComponentTest/Particles/qipao01.plist
cd /Volumes/Working/Workspace/Study-Cocos2dx/TestCppV31/proj.ios_mac
setenv PATH “/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/usr/bin:/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin”
builtin-copyPlist --convert binary1 --outdir /Users/apple/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/TestCppV31-dgmjuykrcbrdorcnmqogxqblbsmq/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/TestCppV31 iOS.app – /Volumes/Working/Workspace/Study-Cocos2dx/TestCppV31/Resources/scenetest/BackgroundComponentTest/Particles/qipao01.plist

error: failed to remove /Users/apple/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/TestCppV31-dgmjuykrcbrdorcnmqogxqblbsmq/Build/Products/Debug-iphonesimulator/TestCppV31 iOS.app/qipao01.plist: “qipao01.plist” couldn’t be removed.

Did you met error just run TestCpp?
What’s your environment?

Ricardo Quesada wrote:

@winipcfg @meir
right now, I do not have a windows machine to test it but I think I fixed it:
https://github.com/cocos2d/cocos2d-x/pull/5290

could you confirm that it is working ok ? thanks.

It is fixed. Thanks