Does Apple thinning work on Cocod2d-x?

Hello Jugnu,

In our case, regarding App thinning, we used assets manager, but the problem we encountered was that I think in order to have apple Thinning work, we need to activate “Bite Code Enable” inside the bundle settings, and we can’t make bite code enable work with Cocos2d-x.

So we basically gave up trying to make Apple Thinning work on Cocos2d-x. It kind of sucks, because it is quite important for us.

That link you post is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

If you manage to make apple thinning work. (I know it’s not your intention anyway) but if you find out how to make it work, please points in the right direction.

Thanks.

Why are you saying you cannot enable bitcode in cocos2d-x?

I’m just the designer, not the programmer, so I may be wrong. But my understanding was that, my programmer could enable bitcode for cocos2dx but then it would make our app a complete mess and pretty much unusable. We are using spine animations with a combinations of pngs, jpegs, and pvr.czz.

We pretty much gave up on apple thinning. we can’t make it to work with our assets. I saw another post that somebody was claiming it worked, but I am still not sure apple thinning is possible with cocos2dx or at least with the type of assets we are using.

If somebody managed to make it work with spine animations / pvr.czz / jpegs and pngs, I wouldn’t mind paying some cash for the help, guidance. But at this point, we pretty gave up on apple thinning and we compromised packing all the assets in same build.

• Cocos works with design resolution concept; a design res is chosen, and is then adapted to any screen with open gl tricks (viewport magnification).
    Apple has multiple resolution categories, that is, you design for every app device res (with some reusability) and you ship the app. Based on that, apple the applies slicing.
  • Same for resources: sprites require to be 1@,2@ etc in the apple sprite folder; so you have to duplicate cocos ones :frowning:
  • Ditto for on-demand resources… need to tag them, but after all the above… they are bundles… (not sure on this)
  • You can only skip on bitcode: you just need to recompile EVERY part/library of cocos with bitcode enabled. So you just need to know where the secret files are… :wink: your programmer knows.

So app thinning this way is a lot of work, almost unpredictable, directly against your choice of using cocos; because if you are using cocos it’s because it’s multi platform. So you probably be ending up managing all those resources externally anyway yourself (with firebase, or now-dead parse) server things…
As you see, multi platform philosophy breaks app thinning…