Cocos2d-x or CocoStudio? Need Help Plz

Hey guys I’m a complete noob. I downloaded Cocostudio and installed it I also downloaded Cocos2d-x which just gave me a zip file… How do I install it? I didnt see an .exe in it.

Which one is best for beginners are they both complete game engines or is CocoStudio just an extension/tool that goes with Cocos2d-x?

Also could you guys point me in the direction of the best tutorials… Also some good tutorials on coding within Cocos2d-x/CocoStudio would be awesome too.

Any advice, hints, tips or tricks for an absolute beginner would be awesome.

I have a little experience with Game Maker Studio and have an ok grasp of GML… not sure if thats gonna help me at all with Cocos2d or C++ but its something I guess lol.

Thanks!

Not a very big community here is there? Only 7 views and no replies in the last hour… Dang

Hey.

CocoStudio consists of 4 Tools (Scene Editor, UI Editor, Animation Editor, Game Data Editor) which can be used to create gamestuff. You can’t create a game fully with CocoStudio. (Or can you? If someone know’s it better pls talk!).

So you need Cocos2d-x. Have you read the readme.md? Cocos2d-x is not a “exe” which can be run and you have a nice programm. At first you need to run the setup.py in cocos2d-x. For that you need to install python. After that you can run the cocos console and create a new project. In this project are files which can be read by a IDE (Visual Studio, XCode).

Hint: Not many ppl answer on CocoStudio because it’s not so extremely used (I think?). Additionally all the stuff you asked is very very basic and should be in the wiki somewhere. http://www.cocos2d-x.org/wiki/How_to_Start_A_New_Cocos2D-X_Game

Hi,

As far as I know, Cocos2d-x is the game engine, and CocosStudio is the game editor. Like Michael said, CocoStudio is not so extremely used as it is somewhat early in development (i think…), though it is useful to design your game visually.

Ultimate beginners should start here: http://www.cocos2d-x.org/learn

To get you started with Cocos2d-x: http://www.cocos2d-x.org/wiki/Getting_Started_with_Cocos2d-x

The documentation for Cocos2d-x is slowly getting there: http://www.cocos2d-x.org/wiki/Modules

These guys made an awesome Cocos2d-x video tutorial playlist (from starting the project to basic features) found here:

Lastly, you may have heard this a lot: google is your friend. Google anything you’d like to know/learn about Cocos2d-x. As it is continuously growing, rapidly improving, you may find most of the information are out of date; conveniently, google have Search Tools which is extremely useful when looking for up-to-date information, just filter the results to display recent articles, or you can even sort the results by date to get the latest information.

Tip: If you can’t find your answer out there, you can always ask here in the forum; though you will have to be patient.

2 Likes

Hey thanks for the responses guys! Very helpful!

if you are using lua or js

use cocosbuilder as IDE

else for c++ others IDE are there.

@pabitrapadhy
What IDE do you use for C++? Do you use C++?
Eclipse is total pants. Don’t think anyone has VC working as x-compiler and I’m loathe to try from my experience of the days when VS cost $+ and I had to use freePascal for DirectX interfacing. I feel really old having said that.

@nuttypros

well sory to dissapoint you.
but i use eclipse only as i am in windows platform.
I know eclipse is bad for c++
but as a begineer i find it working till now.

when some knowledge will be gained and there would be requirements, which eclipse cant provide
i would think of other IDE’s

i was acquainted with eclipse when i was using java.
so kind of homesickness. :smile:

Yes, i dont see any tutorials using visual studio
also there is qt creator, and a tutorial in here but
if you would fail somewhere it is a pain is the heart.

@pabitrapadhy
That’s what I was getting at over at [C++] Looking for a tutorial of SKELETON ANIMATION on Cocos2d-x 3.x
What C++/cocos2d IDE is best for Windows? So much for churning out the flappy birds in 3 days lol :smile:

@nuttypros Qt Creator is the best IDE because you can mirror it across win nix and mac

Prebuilt cocos2d-x versions will be supplied from tomorrow onwards
Please re-look here to find out more

It is a nice IDE from the looks of your screenshots. i think traditionally though, it’s not been so popular on Windows. I’d love to learn it but while quick, i fear your instructions offer gdb as an option and i think my phone will disconnect if download another 500MB on it :)[quote=“rcknrolfender79, post:1, topic:15122, full:true”]
Hey guys I’m a complete noob. I downloaded Cocostudio and installed it I also downloaded Cocos2d-x which just gave me a zip file… How do I install it? I didnt see an .exe in it.

Which one is best for beginners are they both complete game engines or is CocoStudio just an extension/tool that goes with Cocos2d-x?

Also could you guys point me in the direction of the best tutorials… Also some good tutorials on coding within Cocos2d-x/CocoStudio would be awesome too.

Any advice, hints, tips or tricks for an absolute beginner would be awesome.

I have a little experience with Game Maker Studio and have an ok grasp of GML… not sure if thats gonna help me at all with Cocos2d or C++ but its something I guess lol.

Thanks!
[/quote]

I used QT Creator a few years ago, but recently re-looked at it and I must say I am impressed. I really love that I can point it to a CMake file and it just works. Gives a nice graphical IDE and graphical debugging. Is a good use for non cocos2d-x apps too. Very impressed.

@nuttypros You do realize that Visual Studio is like 4gb+?

msys2 (70mb) cmke (3mb) cocos2d-x (2mb)
qt-creator is then another 60/70mb

So that’s 150mb vs 4gb.

Beside the fact that qt creator starts up in about a second when visual studio can take a few minutes to load a project. Building is much faster also. In some cases with ninja 1/10 of the time.

We still need Visual studio like we need Xcode for IOS to do final builds for WinRT and WP8.

@slackmoehrle Thats exactly it :slight_smile: Plus Qt Creator works across all platforms so regardless if you are on mac nix or win you can have the same setup on all three.

Soon you you guys the ability to cross build for mac and linux all from windows qtcreator with this method :wink:

@Martell

i already have vs, 2013, 2008 and, just, 2010. but 2013 wants windows to update so thanks, grabbing qt Creator now. anything else to download before threats of disconnection are made good?

@nuttypros Not really I’m still waiting for the cocos2d-x package to hit the pacman repo I’m not the one who manages it. It’s going up shortly though.
All you really need is these 3 - mingw-gcc mingw-cmake mingw-cocos2d-x.
If you want debugging get mingw-gdb.
Downloading qt-creator from the official website will result in a smaller download because ours depends on the qt5 package which is where your 500mb download is coming from.
We will have to take a look at this.
Then just git clone the template I made
The tutorial pretty much nails most of this down.

500Mb was pure guesstimate of all the other things that your instructions didn’t itemize. Looking at the source forge I can see QT Creator regularly weighs in over 500megs. MSys now stands at 4Gb for me, without the cocos-package. I think Visual C++ is a finely tuned product with good help available (I have 1Gb for 2010).

After struggling with Eclipse and cocos2d-x I’m not without reservations about MSys and QT.

Is MSys essential, couldn’t we just get the official 500Gb MingW version? It’s probably not permanent enough to earn a place on my system images.

The cocos package is a 2mb download itself.
It does depends on libpng libjpeg libcurl etc so it may be about 50mb

As for the qt-creator package I did say before that currently it depends on the qt5 package which includes the full qt5 sdk which is why it is so large.
We are looking at possibly splitting that into a qt5-runtime package and a qt5-sdk package.

I said already on the other forum that you could just download this (qt-creator is 69mb)
http://download.qt-project.org/official_releases/qtcreator/3.1/3.1.2/qt-creator-opensource-windows-x86-3.1.2.exe

So thats 40mb for cocos and its depends and then 80-100mb for the toolchain etc
Then 69mb for qt-creator. That works out at roughly 200mb as i said before.

I have no idea where you are getting a 1gb visual studio 2010.
I had it installed and its 4gb
Any any internet search typically returns the same size
http://www.dotnetspider.com/forum/248461-What-is-installation-size-of-visual-studio-2010.aspx

Msys2 is 4gb for because it keeps a backup of all the packages you downloaded in /var/cache
Plus the qt5 sdk is much larger once it has all been extracted.

I’ve archived (quarantined :slight_smile: ) the msys2 folder. What can I do with that /var/cache directory? I hope it will enable re-installation at a later date?

My VCExpress 10 is only about 400Mb, on disk, I get a better idea looking at the space remaining before/after installation. I think the low level coding VS grew from back in the 90’s gives it an edge in terms of size, speed and stability. Saving my pennies for Windows 8 (and broadband :)) to get into WP8 development next, but will probably want a hackintosh after learning cocos2d-x some more.