Android switch from Java to Kotlin

Just a question. Does someone planned to switch the Android Java code to Kotlin? Because of the deprecation of Eclipse, this shouldn’t be a big deal and Android Studio 3 (released today) has Kotlin support build in.

Yes, Android Studio 3 announced this feature. I’ve been thinking about Kotlin but I actually haven’t found any benefits of switching to Kotlin. So, I read about this at the forums (Mainly Russian spoken),
and in my project I’m not going to use it, maybe If I explore further Kotlin I will use it but now not.
Currently I’m intresting in Rx and MVP in project

I believe this need some testing and currently engine has a lot of own bugs and other problems with android… so adding here maybe some problems with new langue… this will not be so fast.

Also a bit offtopic: I hope Android Studio 3 someday will support Swift :slight_smile: and we should switch from C++ to Swift.

I’m very sceptical about Kotlin. I guess it needs more time to be polished.
I clearly remember the beginning of Swift. Each new version broken everything from the previous version. And Apple was forcing people to use the new version, so it took even hours to fix one project…

You know, that Kotlin isn’t new? It’s only new as an official language for Android. As you can see Kotlin 1.0 is from 02/15/2016 and it was created in 2011.

@anon98020523 Why do you want Swift? Another idea is to compile Kotlin to native code (so it can be used on iOS as well - currently only on PC [Windows, macOS, Linux]).

That language itself… but how it used as new… I think this is a key problem.

Because I want a language that is modern, simple and supported by native IDE’s: Xcode and android studio. Any other option is wrong.

I can 100% say that if Google supported the Swift, then current С++ engine would become obsolete. This is not new idea and I hope someday will happen. However, current attempt to make some like cocos engine in Swift didn’t find support. So I’m waiting and hope for Swift-CC of smth…

The author of this work doesn’t work here anymore. I am not sure what, if any, plans are being made around this work. I imagine not any time soon.

Well, I’m talking about this in general. Why need C++ if we can use Swift? This question will arise if android studio will support it, but they chose Kotlin for now…

The same question could someone ask: When will Kotlin be native for iOS, so we don’t need C++ anymore? I believe we will see Kotlin native faster than Swift for Android. Let me explain, why I do think so.

I believe your arguments, that Swift is more mature and has more benefits compared to C++, but not for the Android system. No one will build a normal Android app with plain C++. You had to understand why Java/Kotlin is so beautiful for Android. These are VM languages, so you don’t have to worry about the underlaying platform (x86, x64, arm, mips, etc). But with Swift you need to know the processor architecture, so you can’t say for sure, that your app will run in the future. With a VM app you can, because the VM is the only part to be ported, not every single app.

This is just the opinion of me - an Android developer.

But this is not my initial question. I just wanted to know if there are any plans to convert the Java code into Kotlin code.

The main thing is not language but company, who pushing it - Apple :slight_smile: Sorry for offtopic.