3D model support

I changed my mind.

I think before exploring breaking changing features like this, we should consolidate the current version of the framework. For example I see these problems:

• We are changing the way we should face the resource loading and multi resolution in each build… what is so weird… in my opinion this is a big problem.
  • The cocos2dx code should be well documented, in a way that the developers that use it can understand how to use the classes, etc
  • Thinks like the implementation of CCBReader have several bugs today, and that it’s something very important for cocos2dx in my opinion.
  • It is too hard to set up the development environment on all platforms except iOS is the only one it’s very easy. Look at the forums, all newbies have the same problem, and we are scaring many people with this complexity to set up the environment.
  • The wiki documentation needs to be completed

the framework is great, but I think that it needs consolidation before more breaking changes.

Thank you for all the suggestions.
We are doing things what @Jesus Bosch said before implementing 3d models.

Thank you again for all guys that give help to cocos2d-x community.

Minggo Zhang wrote:

>

Thanks Minggo, I think it’s the right decision at this stage. Jesus Bosch’s post was right on the money in my opinion - consolidation would be preferable to any new features at this time. Thanks for all your hard work, and feel free to post requests on the forum if you need any help with documentation/bug fixing/testing. I’m sure lots of us are more than willing to pitch in.

Also, I think it would be time very well spent to get the Windows Metro/Windows Phone 8/Blackberry QNX libraries to the same level as the iOS/Android ones. These new platforms are starting to become major things to support, and having a solid cocos2d-x underneath them would be fantastic. Personally I’d prioritise this over new features at the moment.

Ben

Minggo Zhang wrote:

>

Best decision ever.

Herman,Ben, @Minggo

Definitely, I also think this is the right decision :slight_smile:

Hellow,
I have a problem.
What the 3D software did you use to export the?:frowning:

…Because I use the 3dmax2012 and Md2Export Pluging to export the md2(I have give the bone and animation,and it’s no problem to open md2 with other 3D software).

But…when i use xcode with cocos2d-x(3D support),and use my md2 model…

At first it not have problem,

but…the time after 40 seconds,it well be crush…

But use your md2 model not have any problem.

So I think 3DMAX is not good to export the MD2.

So I don’t know how did you export a good md2 model can use ?

thanks.:slight_smile:

Sorry,My English is not good.:frowning:

Afternoon all.
What is the current state of affairs with a 3d support project?
For me the Cocos3d for Cocos2d-iPhone framework is the ideal concept to implement in Cocos2d-x. It sits right on top of the main framework so that it does not interfere in any way with its workings if that is your choice. Just like any extension.
Even when implemented it can be as simple as just an other layer added to a scene with pointers in and out to interact with a host layer. The Collada import from Blender is straight forward allowing face texture and a series of animations to be imported with the pod. In fairness, Biil Hollings and co have done an excellent job. Personally I have a project to finish up and once ready I plan to turn all my attention to translating it to C**. As i’m only what I would consider an intermediate at this stuff that could take a while but in the meantime if there is anyone with the ObjectiveC->C** smarts out there I urge them to have a go. It can only improve Cocos2d-x in the long run.
H

@Harry You guys are using the wrong framework. 3D support? -> Unity3D

How much does it cost to develop a game on ios and Android with Unity3d?
$800?
versus
$0

Herman Jakobi wrote:

@Harry You guys are using the wrong framework. 3D support? -> Unity3D

I agree with this. There’s so much to consider in a full 3d engine that I can see how this will either be:

1. A half way house that doesn’t really provide the feature set that people are asking for from a 3d engine.
    …or…
  2. Something that is fully featured, but ends up drastically changing the 2d engine to accomodate it.

Harry Dart-O’Flynn wrote:

How much does it cost to develop a game on ios and Android with Unity3d?

I don’t think cost is something that should come into this decision. Besides, Unity is cheap as chips for a professional outfit. I know a lot of hobbyists use Cocos2d-x, but it would be a shame to lose the professional users because of that.

I’d much rather the team spent the time working on a version of the library which supported both OpenGL and DirectX, so that we can support Windows 8 metro directly. That’s a huge market and one which isn’t currently served (at least not with the 2.x codebase)…

Ben

Ben Ward wrote:

Herman Jakobi wrote:
> @Harry You guys are using the wrong framework. 3D support? -> Unity3D
>
I agree with this. There’s so much to consider in a full 3d engine that I can see how this will either be:

1. A half way house that doesn’t really provide the feature set that people are asking for from a 3d engine.
    …or…
  2. Something that is fully featured, but ends up drastically changing the 2d engine to accomodate it.
    >
    Harry Dart-O’Flynn wrote:
    > How much does it cost to develop a game on ios and Android with Unity3d?
    >
    I don’t think cost is something that should come into this decision. Besides, Unity is cheap as chips for a professional outfit. I know a lot of hobbyists use Cocos2d-x, but it would be a shame to lose the professional users because of that.
    >
    I’d much rather the team spent the time working on a version of the library which supported both OpenGL and DirectX, so that we can support Windows 8 metro directly. That’s a huge market and one which isn’t currently served (at least not with the 2.x codebase)…
    >
    Ben

I can only agree with that. There’s still plenty of improvements possible for Cocos2D-X and I do think adding half-baked 3D support would just make it a mess.
If you want to make some 3D games, just use OGRE, Unity3D or whatever.

Ben…Romain …

Or option 3) Something fully featured that ends up having no effect on the 2d engine as has been the case with the Cocos2d-iPhone version.

Cocos 2d , 3d ,2d-x have always been open source frameworks why would they lose professional users if there was a 3d-x? Where did that come from?
Cocos3d is easier than OGRE. More affordable than Unity3D and I’ve never heard of whatever… Is it new?

For those who wan’t to see 3D in Cocos2d-x. Write your engine. Good luck :slight_smile:
Pls measure time and lost revenue while you develop your engine.

Herman Jakobi wrote:

For those who wan’t to see 3D in Cocos2d-x. Write your engine. Good luck :slight_smile:
Pls measure time and lost revenue while you develop your engine.
These kind of condescending rants do not add to the conversation.

From what I’ve read the community would like to see Cocos2d-x as a more stable engine and have development time focused on bug fixes and core features for 2D.

Eventually when Cocos2d-x is stable and feature complete there will be a time when adding a couple of extensions such as CCSprite3D + CCAnimate3D would make sense (for 2.5d games for example), as long as the core architecture isn’t changed.

I wait for 3D support in Cocos2d-x too :slight_smile: It would be really cool!

Airex Rest wrote:

I wait for 3D support in Cocos2d-x too :slight_smile: It would be really cool!

Sure, but I would suggest focusing on stability and merging WP8 separate branch.
Just my two cents as a pro developer using Cocos2D-X as foundation of mobile and desktop games.

I’m not against it but cocos2d as far as I know doesn’t design to cope with 3d at the first go, so this will have a lot of effort to make the performance and usage right.
There’s already one another framework called Gameplay3D in which cocos2d-x is its influence and I played around with it a couple of times just running demo and observe code, the code structure and the way we do thing in cocos2d-x is pretty similar to it.

I would agree with @herman, at least I would add Gameplay3D framework as another option.

I would say please stick to 2D features and make it even better. cocos3d even has no official version although it’s developed long time ago.
Introducing 3d features now will most likely damage trust from current 2d users in terms of stability and bug-frees.

Personally I don’t use 3D in a game that just to show and rotate model, it should be full-fledge like 3D framework normally does. Also I guess if we blend 2 worlds together (2d and 3d), there will be performance issue.
And why I love using cocos2d-x ? It’s because of open source, C++, cross-platform and 2D features.

If you were looking for 3D support in a cross-platform system then you might consider Cocos2d-XNA + MonoGame. You could implement the 3D layer directly with the underlying MonoGame 3D support and get to DX, WinGL, iOS ($), Android ($), Win App Store, Linux, and possibly even PlayStation Mobile (with a little help).

We have an issue out for supporting the C3DLayer concept being discussed here, but in the XNA world that is mostly done for us - it would be just content and book keeping in our framework.

Jacob Anderson wrote:

If you were looking for 3D support in a cross-platform system then you might consider Cocos2d-XNA + MonoGame.

I don’t like C# :slight_smile: I like cocos2d-x and C++ :slight_smile: