We need a friendly ENGINE, not a dysfunction EDITOR

Good to know.
And, moreover, istant run only works on java code. No way with ndk and c++.

They did plan to add ndk support for instant run too, of course it might happen tomorrow or not happen for 6 months.

It won’t be too fast as they will still need to do the ndk-build and then copy over the new .so file(s). But it will at least skip the apk packaging step which does take a lot of time.

@walzer Actually it’s all that simple - ideal language for cross-platform development of 2d games it’s that is supported by “native” IDE’s, so for iOS & android it’s Xcode & Android Studio respectively.

That why I will not use any other language for development 2d games for major platforms iOS & android. Moreover, I’m developing game in Xcode by 95% and then adopt it to android in studio. Who also thinks and doing this same way?

p.s. another fun option currently maybe a SWIFT, but it’s not supported by android, however who knows… it’s so popular and so pushed by Apple, so even google will support it soon :smiley:
p.s.2: https://news.realm.io/news/swift-on-android/

1 Like

“That why I will not use any other language for development 2d games for major platforms iOS & android. Moreover, I’m developing game in Xcode by 95% and then adopt it to android in studio. Who also thinks and doing this same way?”
I do exactly the same, xcode + eclipse for android.
I will never choose another language then c++. Because of portability, and to extend with functionality.

4 Likes

same here c++ ftw!

1 Like

@walzer I also want to mention once again that for the open source engine written in C++ - switching(or mostly targeting) to javascript is very bad idea… And creating closed-source editor too which again targeting to js.
Overall that means of losing developers. Also you have already practical results about closed-source editors before… abandoned.

But I’m thinking, you just want to monetize it in future? Thats why this editor is closed-source. But you better also make closed-source cocos2d-x, with that monetization will be better. Just give a rock solid editor-engine and I will pay… and not js ofc. But what you trying to do currently looks strange… but definitely moving in a wrong direction.

3 Likes

I love JS, to me Cocos Creator is great, this seams to be the right direction.

I was using cocos2d-x, then i try cocos creator and look over samples in github. I think cocos creator is good for me, well, changed c++ to js is a lil bit strange first. but then, i just want to make a game. and performance is quite good too.

I’m not a big fan of JS as a language but I love how Chukong has finally added TS support!!

Cocos Creator is pretty nice so far, and while I doubt I’d ever release a game written in JS/TS, I’m so much faster creating/prototyping with Cocos Creator. Once I get my current game mostly fleshed out in Cocos Creator/TS, I plan to rewrite it in C++.

Also, I’m both impressed and confused at how long this particular thread has been active.

1 Like

Totally, absolutely agree with @anon98020523 .:slight_smile:

I totally agree with @anon98020523

@anon98020523 agreed

@anon98020523 agreed

Dear @walzer, as a founder of Cocos2d-x, some important things maybe you should know.

First of all, your 1st principle is great, but we should refocusing our target users:

They are experienced game developers, most of them are software engineers.

I thought we should admit some truths:

1. The simplest game making tool is the sort of Game Maker. No scripts at all !
  2. Unity is the most widely game or multimedia developing engine, it is also very friendly to users.
  3. Unreal is the most professional game engine, most of us will agree with that.
  4. Other game engines, what ever it is open sourced or not, has editors or not, they are ‘Others’.
  5. Cocos2d-x is the most distinctive, and the most successful one of that ‘Others’.

If you think Cocos Creator can make the game development easier, that is absolutely wrong way.
When you sort the info from Stack Overflow or GitHub, pick the most popular language for Cocos Creator, the fact is the easiest tool of game development doesn’t even need to code anything at all !

Unity and Unreal are both great game engines are very friendly to developers. What is very friendly ? They accept(include auto conversion) the most industrial standards resources - images, sounds, video, etc. They have lots of editors for whole game developing process - authoring 2D/3D animations, actions, lighting, colliders, etc. They invest much resources building the tutorials, documents, and videos.

Cocos2d-x can’t be matched with them at all. And the biggest flaw is absolutely NOT the editors.
But why Cocos2d-x so successful ? Everything is because it opens sources.

If I just want game developing process easier and more flexible, don’t care it open sourced or not, I can just use Unity, it cost nothing by subscription policy, and has more features, more learning resources, more supported platforms, more latest technology, and more. Your 3 principles - easier, cheaper, more advanced ? All failed.

So, return the most import question, what is the most important factor for target users ?
In my humble opinion, keep its role, focus what it should do, welcome more industrial resources, build more tutorial and documents, should be the answers. Because main target users use it as the main engine just because it’s open source engine, we can tune, debug our game by ourselves, everything is native, we know what we want and what we are doing.

I relief because the new version 3.15 were released, and it fixes bugs, imports new implementations and features as usual. Dear @walzer , as a 10 years+ experienced game developer, I experienced OpenGL, Ogre, Flash, Unity… lots game developing engines, I love editors of course, I built them before. So I can realize how much important Cocos Studio or Cocos Creator to you. But if you don’t supposed to open its source, it will just be another dysfunction editor, it will never be matched with Unity. The core spirit of Cocos2d-x is open source, open the freedom of game developers, I hope you can realize that.

11 Likes

The best would be:
Editor: Godot
Engine: Cocos2d-x cpp

The main idea of editor + engine is same codebase. Like it was for SpriteBuilder and Cocos2D-Objc. And also, all way it’s designed… and what and how it works. I’m talking about editor.

I personally have best editor for cocos2d-x and it’s SpriteBuilderX. Yes, it’s not really using same codebase: cocos2d-objc for editor and cocos2d-x as engine, but works perfectly.

p.s. I really don’t like black colors in any editor :slight_smile: I want a simple white theme, otherwise will not use it.

I know what are you talking about. Of course it’s nice if an editor has the same codebase.
And sure, for cocos2d-x cpp the SpriteBuilder customization is a really great Job.
More friendliest as Cocos Studio was.
Cocos Creator and cpp integration i can’t say anything, because till now i didn’t try it.
Sometimes maybe.
At the moment i also use SpriteBuilder-X (cocos2d-x 3.13) and sometimes (yet) Cocos Studio with 3.10 cocos2d-x.
But belive me, one of the best editor i met (2d) is Godot. Every shit is a node. Buttons, Labels, ui, sprites whatever you want, everything. Not widgets, Scenes, Layers, etc And of course you can transform, or do every animation, or whatever eyecandy you want with them.
To edit a scene is really joyful.

1 Like

I’ve tried it before. Deleted it very fast. Again - design and idea of how SB works is perfect.

Main task for editor is simple - just to assemble the scene. And it should work closely with the engine.

Thats another way… and thats why cocos2d family is most successful like been said in some previous post.

I just want to add, that copying design of unity is totally wrong idea. Trying to be matched to something that really different and can’t be matched…

So, how editor + engine should work? A perfect example is a SpriteBuilder+Cocos2D.
Also, I don’t think that if the current editor will be made open source, it will solve the problem. It’s in design, how it all work and made… wrong.

I think biggest problem - that cocos2d-x team focus on Asian market, they just don’t care about our opinion as they revenue comming not from us but China:) - where JS is dominating and only way to make something cool. They don’t care much about quality - current JS implementation for web just don’t match sharpens and quality of c++ code.

Release of 3.15.1 just proves it :slight_smile: added HUWAI phone optimization - first release with such small improvements.

2 Likes