V4 would be a good time to move things forward?

Thanks in advanced.

1 Like

Iā€™ve switched my whole development from c++14 to c++17 (since 3.17) end of last year already. Android works fine, I only had some issues on osx/ios where they donā€™t support some library features (filesystem e.g. , which will be supported with next xcode version) but you can provide the missing lib features yourself if you want, besides that I didnā€™t have any issues at all so far

But making it standard is probably not the best choice (without checkign device support, min reqs), since this might reduce the support for older devices. Iā€™m not 100% up to date which devices are supported, but I always had issues in the past where I had to drop some device support (especially for iOS) since there are some min sdk requirements.

One case recently was with std::variant which requires a newer min version for iOS due to some new special exceptions. (fortunately this was only an issue when using the feature)

1 Like

Those issues are runtime-library related and donā€™t relate directly to the C++ standard being used. The different platform support would only be of interest to the Cocos2d-x devs if they used those features in the engine; otherwise I donā€™t see how the fact that different versions of iOS/macOS support different C++ library classes is an issue here.

1 Like

@zhangxm I am having issues moving the classes out of the experimental namespace with clashing of the old and new TMXLayer and with the Lua bindings, so I think I will have to give these changes a miss for now.

Ok, no problem.

Hey mates, im developing for desktop only, should i move to v4 too?

Not yet. Itā€™s not out and iirc you are new to the engine. Iā€™d stick with v3 and get more comfortable.

1 Like

When is going to be released the final v4 version?

Iā€™d say a month to a few months @zhangxm will have a better idea to his timeline.

1 Like

@digimikeh if you want to run on metal, then you should move to v4. If not, then both versions are ok.
@abrajam we will do another testing this week, if it doesnā€™t have critical issues, then we may release it next week.

2 Likes

Can i know the progress of it? We want to release v4 ASAP. And i can do it if you are busy.

I have stopped working on the namespace change as there is too much lua interaction that I know nothing about.

Yep, it is complex. If you donā€™t mind, then i can work on it or continue on your work.

Youā€™ll have to take over Iā€™m afraid as I have no time at the moment. I just looked at my cocos2d-x fork and I havenā€™t push the commit I was working on and am not at home at the moment. I can push that tonight if thatā€™s helpful?

Ok, no problem. I can take over it.

This is as far as I got with the workā€¦

1 Like

No problem, i sent https://github.com/cocos2d/cocos2d-x/pull/20229 for it. Audio, WebView and Video finish.

I really need win64 version cocos. Will it be formally supported in v4? Or is there any instruction about how to compile by myself?

We can ask @zhangxm to verify, but I donā€™t believe this is part of the upgrades of v4.

What did you mean win64? Does it mean x64 for Android or Windows 64bit?