[Tutorial] I wrote 8 part tutorial on how to develop simple real time multiplayer card game using WebSockets,Netty,Cocos2d-x-html5

Hello all

You may remember my previous posts here! and here! i showed how to develop simple cross platform game .
Now i like to show you how to develop super simple real time multiplayer card game , which is also cross platform.
The game is War card game for 2 players.
Although the tutorial is very basic and simple what you going to learn can be used as foundation to more complex games.
Using only free open source tools . which every one can effort.

For the server stack im using Java Netty , it is light,fast,Asynchronous network server.
The java code im using is NOT doing the “900 layers of abstractions”. it is simple almost procedural programming.
For the networking protocol im using Web Sockets.
For the client side game im using Cocos2d-x the HTML5 engine for the web and the JavaScript API for desktop and iOS.

Server Side:

Multiplayer Card Game using WebSockets,Java Netty Server ,Cocos2d-x-HTML5 - Part 1!
Multiplayer Card Game using WebSockets,Java Netty Server ,Cocos2d-x-HTML5 - Part 2!
Multiplayer Card Game using WebSockets,Java Netty Server ,Cocos2d-x-HTML5 - Part 3!
Multiplayer Card Game using WebSockets,Java Netty Server ,Cocos2d-x-HTML5 - Part 4!
Multiplayer Card Game using WebSockets,Java Netty Server ,Cocos2d-x-HTML5 - Part 5!

Client side:

Multiplayer Card Game using WebSockets,Java Netty Server ,Cocos2d-x-HTML5 - Part 6!
Multiplayer Card Game using WebSockets,Java Netty Server ,Cocos2d-x-HTML5 - Part 7!
Multiplayer Card Game using WebSockets,Java Netty Server ,Cocos2d-x-HTML5 - Part 8!

The source code:

https://github.com/meiry/multiplayer_cocos2dx-js_using_netty_websockets!

Please note that this is the first draft, i will happy to get Feedback so i could iterate and improve.
Thanks!

6 Likes

Wow, I was just looking for one some days ago and here it is. Thank you very much :smile:

great to read

Sweet, I have added it to our list of Cocos2d-x resources, feel free to add anymore you create https://cocos2d-x.zeef.com/admin.system

Sure thing , and thanks .
i have more in the pipeline