The future of Cocos2d-x C++?

The future of Cocos2d-x C++?
0.0 0

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if Cocos2D-X C++ is beginning to die off? Is it going to be continued to be supported in the future?

It seemed there was a time where it was getting updated every 1-2 months, whereas now it’s only been update once in nearly a year.

I’m worried that Cocos2D-X it’s going to go away or become stale which is making me nervous and think about if I should look at changing engines if there’s no future for Cocos2D-X?

Although I love C++ and would much rather work in that, tools like Unity do seem very appealing.

There is no need to worry. C++ is not going anywhere.

The way our teams are working now is that our engineering team is working on areas versus products. Instead of a developer being assigned to Cocos2d-x they are assigned to something like 3D and they work on 3D for all products. Recently @drelaptop was working on CMake and now working on improving C++ support for Creator but with this comes improvements in Cocos2d-x as well.

Also, we need to work on v4 and this means that we will do less with v3 in-order to have the resources for v4.

I hope that helps clarify.

What features would be included in v4? :grinning:

It’s to soon to tell. There are some deep features planned like all new rendering and a lot more.

Btw is it still only one programmer for c++?

No, there is more than one as they focus on areas of work and not specific products.

I used cocos2d-x for around 5 years, publishing a few games with it on different platforms but as I saw c++ being neglected while all of the resources were apparently going to this JavaScript editor and started asking the same questions.

I began looking around at other engine options but I wasn’t fully satisfied with any of the choices. Then I came across Godot about a month ago, which was perfectly timed as they just released their version 3. The first thing I did was re-create the last project I was working on in cocos2d-x, which was a platformer. In a couple of hours, no exaggeration, I was not only able to re-create the game but add a bunch of features that I had struggled with and never did get working in cocos. Plus it was so incredibly easy that I then added a handful of new features as well, all this in less than 24 hours. I wanted to punch a wall when I realized how many hours I wasted in cocos2d-x. We should be creating games, not fighting with the engine.

I don’t have the time to share all of the amazing things about Godot, just go check it out, you won’t be disappointed. Lots of documentation, books and tutorials coming out the wazoo. The last time I looked for a book, or hell, even a tutorial on cocos2d-x, it was a sad wasteland.

I do hope that cocos2d-x is continued to be developed as it did fill a void but it looks like it has taken a back seat to the editor development, not to mention trying to expand 3d when the majority came to this engine because of the 2d part of cocos2d.

I thought that cocos2d-x-lite would have been the solution but it’s barely been touched according to github. Oh well, maybe one day cocos2d-x can be something special again instead of another proprietary web game maker.

But I only see mingo commiting on github :slight_smile:

Leeda is working on CMake and other developers work on 3D and Rendering and, and, and.

We definitely require developers to code versus other engines that have drag and drop tools, more scripting than programming, etc. This has always been the case. There are a few books available via Packt. Some of them are good. Others not so good.

The Editor is very important to us but we need the egine. You can’t have an editor without an engine. We have no plans to stop development on the engine or any of its pieces.

I have no problem with coding, in fact that was one of the big reasons I chose cocos2d-x over easier/safer choices like Unity, Unreal, because I didn’t want to do things visually. The benefit of something like Godot isn’t the editor, as nice as it is, it’s that you can accomplish so much with so little redundant coding because of what is built into the engine (again not the editor). None of the features that I’m thinking of exist in cocos2d-x nor do I see them being added because that would require focus and attention on the engine side.

The Editor is very important to us but we need the egine. You can’t have an editor without an engine. We have no plans to stop development on the engine or any of its pieces.

Not officially ending development on something is not the same thing as actively developing it.

There are a few books available via Packt. Some of them are good. Others not so good.

The last useful book that I see on packt is from years ago. The only recent one is by the Sonar Systems guy, and I found his videos to be unwatchable so I can only imagine how bad his books are.

So developers can choose to use a c++ engine that isn’t really being actively developed anymore or choose to make web games with a closed source editor… based on the same stunted c++ engine. Not great choices.

I don’t envy you slackmoehrle, it’s got to be tough to keep explaining to people year-after-year that they don’t need to worry, that c++ isn’t going anywhere while simultaneously trying to explain away the obvious lack of any progress.

There are now too many great engine options to expect developers to just keep waiting and hoping that one of these years something good will happen with cocos2d-x.

To be clear, I’m critical because I care. I loved cocos2d-x and was excited by the direction of things when version 3 was released, there seemed to be so much momentum. Then the switch in focus to the editor, the layoffs, loss of Ricardo, and the inevitable lack of progress. I’m just sad for the project at this point.

I understand what you mean here. The engine is being actively developed still but we don’t have the same number of engineers on it as we did, say, 3-4 years ago. You don’t see a lot going on in GitHub, but there is a lot going on internally. As an open-source project, I do realize this seems negative to not be so active in public. Ricardo was a big believer in doing every step in public and now this isnt done so much anymore.

The Sonar Systems videos are not applicable anymore. To outdated to be useful. I read his book too and I realized that it is most all Packt books that I have the same problem with. Sometimes the content is very good but they way they present the content of the book is awful to me. No color, code-wrapping issue, etc. They had asked me to write a book some time ago and I declined because they couldn’t accommodate what was important to me in presentation

I see your point. Outside of China developers prefer C++, inside of China JavaScript, Lua and deploying to the web is what is popular. Trying to reach the best of both worlds.

Thanks. I’m not trying to explain away but rather exaplain how we are working now as it is different than how we used to work a few years ago. But, yes, lately I am fielding more questions like this than I care to :slight_smile: It isn’t pleasant to read that users feel this way. I do convey everything to our teams and leaders.

I think a lot of people are sad that it doesn’t have the momentum it used to have. Ricardo had vision for the engine and I honestly don’t know how much of his vision is going to make it into future versions of the engine.

@notamonopoly exists some game developed with Godot in the top downloads of Android / iOS market? Almost always, there are at least 1 game developed in cocos. I don’t think that all cocos developers are wrong. Cocos is an excellent framework. Godot i don’t know but i’m proud of something: both frameworks were born in Argentina (my country). :sunglasses:

Seriously? You migrated your game to another engine successfully in couple of hours?

What exactly? And why internally?

I am aware of 3D and renderer projects. I know there is JavaScript work being done. I know that v4 is in the beginning stages. This stuff isn’t ready for GitHub yet.

What is the features list there in v4?
https://github.com/cocos2d/cocos2d-x#see-what-we-are-planning - this only showing me some very old info, page hasn’t been updated for a long time as I see.

The complete feature set for v4 is still being decided. New renderer and more 3D for sure.