Survey: the reasons why I won't use Cocos Creator

We don’t think like that at all.

It wont. This is just your opinion. We decided to EOL a few products because there was either overlap with other products or the product didn’t help our users out as much as we had hoped. Creator doesn’t fit into either of these categories.

I don’t see big reasons for not using Cocos Creator. It does have a learning curve like any framework, language or tool. While the documentation isn’t the best in the world I think it’s pretty good and improving all the time. If you would go through all the documentation and examples provided you would sit for days and read it through. With such a complex system you cannot expect to become a master of it in a day or a week.

Frequent updates, developers that respond and listen to the community is amazing. I also love that you allow us to code in JavaScript and have good typings support for Typescript (it’s only a bit lacking here and there).

I also think you’re doing the right thing with your decisions on what ecosystems that are worth keeping, where to put the resources and how you keep up with the technology and keep it modern. You also understand that you can never make everyone happy (e.g. Linux development support) and that if you support everything there will never be any time for new features, bug and performance fixes, aka. things that really matter.

Only thing that is sometimes confusing are all the different websites and places you’ll find information. Would be nice having one place for everything:
Examples:

Anyhow I could not ask for more, this is already insanely good, especially considering it’s completely free. Blows my mind! :slight_smile:

Thank you!

3 Likes

So why if the engine and it’s community is C++ mostly - editor for the engine is not C++ oriented?

I love Cocos Creator, as a JS dev it’s the perfect solution for JS based games.

My only wish is that it would support 3D.

1 Like

You can use C++ if you wish. Just run out script to export to C++ classes. Just because our editor is not C++ by default that doesn’t mean anything to your point. We aren’t dropping C++ support from the languages we support. I am not sure why you would think that.

We are and have been working on 3D. 3D is a complicated beast to do correctly. We don’t want to make any conceptual mistakes.

2 Likes

That’s awkward process. Everything is different, no WYSIWYG(engine-editor), no simple code connections, no same behaviours and components and a lot of other problems. Thats why.

Do you know how old and well known CocosBuilder worked with cocos2d-x? So you should understand the difference.

It is a design decision that was made. I apologize that it doesn’t work for you. Perhaps in the future the integration will be different. The C++ portion is undergoing improvements currently.

Finally you understand. That’s what I’m talking about all around here. And that choice is the great mistake…

1 Like

How’s that different from the old Cocos Studio workflow?

If the following sentence described how/why CocosCreator came about:

Make it easier and faster to create ad games for within WeChat.

How far wrong would it be?

Creator is based on Fireball-X which was all JavaScript from the start. Our users wanted C++. We gave them an option to have it and we continue to improve that option. As time goes on it is possible C++ will be integrated natively.

The mistake would have been NOT listening to our users and giving them what they asked for. We did what they asked the fastest way we could. It would have taken much, much, much longer to integrate it natively and users might still be waiting on it. That wouldn’t have been a good choice either. Sometimes companies are between a rock and a hard place. How you listen to your users in those times is what matters.

I don’t quite understand. This is functionality we have built in to Creator now.

Is there an updated road map somewhere? The one on Trello seems to be outdated.

The question is: Why was Cocos Creator created?

By association, what problems does it solve?

I posit the answer: Make it easier and faster to create ad games for within WeChat.

How far wrong is this?

What does it matter?

I’m sorry, I still don’t understand what you mean by this. We don’t feel it is wrong to let users create games inside of WeChat, we also support FBIG, mobile OS’s, browsers, desktop OS’s, etc.

Let me try an easier question.

Why was Cocos Creator created?

After answering that, the second question:

What’s the reason for continuing the efforts required to sustain, further develop, promote and document it?

Are you trolling?

Or completely oblivious of the significant contributions that justifications, rationales and motivations play in product design, development, execution, evolvement, quality, service and support?

Because there’s no simple way to migrate 30+ games, which used cocos studio. Sure you can convert the project, but also have to change the code and that’s a big task.